Thread: Reversing java byte code

Just burned his ISO

Question Reversing java byte code

Hello,

I'm "relatively" new to the process of reversing so I was wondering if there is a method of reversing java class files.

For instance I'm working on a project right now - the task is to test how securely java hides code.

The .java classes are omitted from the .jar file but with the help of Jade it was possible to extract some more "human-readable" form of code. However, the source has been run through an obfuscator so the resulting code is hard to read and therefor revers.

Is there a way (a tool or smtg.) to further clean up the code or is this it?

Good friend of the forums espreto's Avatar
    (gdb) disass m(y_br)ain

®

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Reversing java byte code

no need to get snippy college ... this is a beginners section where and as far I can see people are posting all kinds questions regarding exploits, tools and security in general so why not a reversing question on java .. ?

Backtrack is a security distro so I believe this is the right place to post.

Good-day...

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

While Backtrack is a penetration testing distro to be exact, we are not really here to teach you to be a l33t hax0r, penetration tester, or script kiddie.
    We do on occasion allow certain posts on the subject however. Now please show some respect, and remember that not everyone here speaks English as a first language.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs down Re: Reversing java byte code

disappointing reply to say the least, you will loose most of your academic posters with this attitude

feel free to delete the thread as I will no longer be a member here seeing as you do not respect your members

farewell ...

Quote Originally Posted by MustHack View Post
    disappointing reply to say the least, you will loose most of your academic posters with this attitude

feel free to delete the thread as I will no longer be a member here seeing as you do not respect your members

farewell ...
    Actually, Archangel-Amael was being quite respectful. He quite respectfully told you that it is up to our discretion as to whether we allow threads not strictly related to Backtrack. Considering that this thread has not yet been deleted or closed, you should be able to determine that so far no one has stopped you from doing anything.

This is a forum for BackTrack however, which is a penetration testing distribution. Even though some people may use it for such, it was not designed specifically for reverse engineering, so asking questions related to reverse engineering here may not get you the best possible responses, because posters here might not be overly familiar with the subject. So maybe you can respect us enough to not act like we have committed some grave injustice by informing you that this might not be the best place to post your question.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MustHack View Post
    farewell ...
    Honestly I don't care if you leave and never come back.
    As for not respecting you, no I don't respect you, I don't know you, and you probably have little (if any) respect for me, considering you don't know me.
    I respect the members of this community, who contribute to help others use BT, and those that post tutorials, as well as the forum staff.
    Now as for your thread, no I don't see the need to close it.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.