Thread: embarassed to ask but Trouble with dual boot

Default embarassed to ask but Trouble with dual boot

Well as i Stated in the Title, This was not a easy way to go, i was sure i was able to fix this by myself, Since there are millions of tutorials at google.com (Tryed many but without luck.)

Problem:
    Well i had to do a repair of my XP installation her the other day, And i found the opertunety golden to install the new Backtrack 4 R1. I did the XP repair first and then i installed backtrack, Now im stuck with a Grub Error 13, and i can`t see to fix it without help, as you see i`ve posted the Boot log as a attachment.
    I would REALLY appriciate if one of u guy`s could help me out.
    http://pastebin.com/69Ggn2Uw

Default Re: embarassed to ask but Trouble with dual boot

Well obviously this wasn't supposed to happen, so this leads me to believe something went wrong on your end, not with backtrack itself (no offence, but the BT installation has mostly proven itself). May I ask what installation tutorial you used?
    Student Systems Administration and Network Engineering, second year.
    Don't PM me with questions, unless very specific. Otherwise, use the forums so everyone can potentially benefit from it.

You have two drives plugged in; also it seems like you could've done some reconfiguring of your hardware. All of this points to an invalid grub configuration. The error code you've cited (error 13) means invalid executable format detected, and could be related to attempting to boot the windows XP partition (please confirm/deny this).

Spend some time looking at the grub configuration manuals for grub 1.0 and most of this should be straight forward. As a quick "try it out" I don't know why the two map statements appear in your windows XP section. Try removing them and see if that boots.

Well i used the install.sh used the same partiton as i had Backtrack installed on previously. (It probably her i ****ed it up) I can use both systems still. Bt Boots fine from grub, But xp i need a boot manager from USB booting with ntldr.(Thats the second drive you see) regarding the Error 13 , It occurs when booting XP.
    Last edited by Cains; 10-14-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Did you try removing the map statements from the winxp section, like I suggested?

Quote Originally Posted by orgcandman View Post
    Did you try removing the map statements from the winxp section, like I suggested?
    You tha man orgcandman that and changed the partiton listed in the boot ini did the trick, thanks alot, i was starting o get bald here