Thread: WICD disappeared/won't work

Just burned his ISO

Default WICD disappeared/won't work

I got a major problem, WICD won't fire up at all! I'm noticing on log in its having trouble "configuring network interfaces" as well.

What I used to do, before WICD even disappeared from my menu on the bottom toolbar, was just type "/etc/init.d/wicd start" in the konsole and all was well from there. I pulled up the WICD from the pull up menu, chose my wireless network, and got busy. Now WICD isn't in that pull up menu, and "/etc/init.d/wicd start" won't even start the WICD (as in there's no writing in konsole after I issue that command.

What did I do before the problem started?

1. I installed VPNuk's software openvpn as I was trying to rig up a VPN to my machine.

2. I fired up Maltega accidentally, and in trying to close it I tried terminator (probably should've googled that before toying with it).

Now WICD won't work. I've got two options for this fix, the first one is just wiping the hard drive/installing backtrack over the whole hard drive since windows 7 on the lap top quit working once I installed BT... or get WICD working.

In trying to get WICD back on line I have tried "/usr/bin/wicd-client" (didn't do a thing), "/usr/bin/start-network", "sudo /etc/init.d/wicd start", & "update-rc.d wicd defaults". All of this was done as root user.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: WICD disappeared/won't work

I have to type wicd in the console and then go into the menu and select to start it, otherwise if I don't type wicd it wont fire up.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: WICD disappeared/won't work

Quote Originally Posted by DeKosta View Post
    I have to type wicd in the console
    You mean just try and type "wicd" and not "/etc/init.d/wicd start" correct? I'll give it a shot but the old way I used to start it was "/etc/init.d/wicd start". As far as pulling it up in the menu I can't. It's like the WICD icon just flat out disappeared. If I can figure out how to get some screen shots/vidoe of my situation I will. Screen shots won't be hard, video will be as I don't think I have any video programs on there (and without internet apt-get isn't an option).