Thread: wlan0 problems

Just burned his ISO

Angry wlan0 problems

alright i think backtrack just doesn't like me. i bought a brand new system76 pangolin performance. and backtrack doesn't play well with that wireless. so then i got an old laptop from my company (dell inspiron b130) i figure it's old enough that all the drivers are mainstream and all will be right with the world

Dell 1470 Internal Wireless 802.11a/b/g

thats the wireless card im using...and backtrack is a no go. the only real help was when i went to type
    /etc/init.d/networking start it said something like. no wlan0 or something....soo frustrated >:[

Default Re: wlan0 problems

gonna need a bit more from you here.
    "or something" doesn't cut it. post the actual error message.

• check the forums for posts regarding the 1470 to see if anyone else has something to say about it.

• google the hell out of this card vs. linux in particular to get some background.

• post the steps that you followed to get it to work and the results of your effort.
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

Quote Originally Posted by captialfear View Post
    alright i think backtrack just doesn't like me. i bought a brand new system76 pangolin performance. and backtrack doesn't play well with that wireless. so then i got an old laptop from my company (dell inspiron b130) i figure it's old enough that all the drivers are mainstream and all will be right with the world

Dell 1470 Internal Wireless 802.11a/b/g

thats the wireless card im using...and backtrack is a no go. the only real help was when i went to type
    /etc/init.d/networking start it said something like. no wlan0 or something....soo frustrated >:[
    Your problem is you are using a shitty ass Dell wifi card, which is a re-branded broadcum card, which works about as well as a rock for wifi in linux.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Your problem is you are using a shitty ass Dell wifi card, which is a re-branded broadcum card, which works about as well as a rock for wifi in linux.
    c'mon, man. stop beating around the bush. no reason to be shy.

-----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

My Dell (Inspiron 1545, the budget model) was configured with an Intel wifi card, and works quite well under linux. Didn't broadcom opensource a large amount of their drivers a couple of weeks ago by the way?
    Student Systems Administration and Network Engineering, second year.
    Don't PM me with questions, unless very specific. Otherwise, use the forums so everyone can potentially benefit from it.