Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT4 dual-boot HDD low disk space?

Angry BT4 dual-boot HDD low disk space?

Hi,

Probably this is yet another noob question, but, i'm not understanding why this happens..

I had a BT4 R1 USB Persistent stick, but i was having performance issues, so, i've installed BT4 in dual-boot in my HDD, in a 7GB partition.. I choose 7GB of space cuz in my stick i had even more software and files that i have in my HDD partition, and the volume never exceeded 4GB (8GB stick btw)..

The performance issues are gone, but now, after a fresh installation, BT4 occupies 6.5GB instead of the usual 2.. And i really can't understand why the installation space tripled.. Now i'm having low disk space errors all the time, with only 220Mb of free disk space..

My question is, is there a way to solve this without changing the partition size? And why does the volume gets >3x bigger that in a USB Persistent?

Thanx in advance.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: BT4 dual-boot HDD low disk space?

I'm new to Linux, but my guess is that a swap file has been created. This wasn't happening on your USB stick because the OS was configured to load everything into ram.

Check https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq for an answer. I may be wrong, but it would make sense.

If you've got more than 2GB of ram, I'd follow the instructions to disable swapping all together.

Llama,

Thanx allot, your answer was most useful, and after much consideration i decided that the best thing to do, is, instead of disabling swap, just expand the partition a few extra GBs.. Reason is, i fear if i disable swap, performance will be an issue again, and to avoid any further issues, it seems most reasonable thing to do is to sacrifice a few extra GBs..

Thanx!

EDIT:

Yesterday i spent hours trying to resize my linux partition, and had no results. I'm completely frustrated.
    I tried using paragon in vista, and although i can backup the partition, i can't resize it, it only lets me resize the NTFS partitions.. So i grab my usb persistent stick and run gparted to resize it under BT, but i still can't get a resize option.. i unmounted the drive, mounted, and unmounted again, and i still can't get any options in gparted.. Any ideias?

I'll try again today, running BT4 live cd to see if this works, but i'm starting to have doubts..

Thanx!
    Last edited by skor78; 10-16-2010 at 02:01 PM.

Solved!

After 22h (18h to resize with gparted (!?!!) via live CD, and 4h to repair Vista..) i finally have a decent partition.

Thanx for those who helped!

How much ram does you laptop have?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

3GB, why?
    I've resized the swap partition from 330Mb to 512Mb, cuz i've been told there's no need for a bigger swap file..
    If u'r talking about the time it took, i was surprised too, i have a 320GB HDD with 2 NTFS partitions (one recovery, one Vista OS), and i had to shrink the Vista partition in order to enlarge the linux partitions. The Vista partition took ~5h to read and ~8 to write..
    It was so quick when i installed BT, that i really couldn't understand why it took so much longer to resize that it took to create.

Cheers.

Perhaps the USB stick used the same filesystem as the liveCD did (compressed), and you performed a "real" install on the harddrive? It should also explain the performance issues.

Resizing partitions takes a LONG time, I'm pretty sure it also has to do with the disk speed (and the respective heads moving around constantly).
    Student Systems Administration and Network Engineering, second year.
    Don't PM me with questions, unless very specific. Otherwise, use the forums so everyone can potentially benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Citruspers View Post
    Perhaps the USB stick used the same filesystem as the liveCD did (compressed), and you performed a "real" install on the harddrive? It should also explain the performance issues.
    Could be an explanation, but considering the amount of RAM i have (3GB), i hardly believe that the pc wouldn't perform properly like it does in the HDD.. When i'm saying performance issues, i'm talking about the system crashing for a few seconds, in ex.: changing from the Firefox window to Konqueror, with nothing else open.. or even crashing while scrolling pages in Firefox.

But this is going off-topic on the subject, if you have something to add about this issue, please post it here.

Thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by skor78 View Post
    3GB, why?
    I've resized the swap partition from 330Mb to 512Mb, cuz i've been told there's no need for a bigger swap file..
    If u'r talking about the time it took, i was surprised too, i have a 320GB HDD with 2 NTFS partitions (one recovery, one Vista OS), and i had to shrink the Vista partition in order to enlarge the linux partitions. The Vista partition took ~5h to read and ~8 to write..
    It was so quick when i installed BT, that i really couldn't understand why it took so much longer to resize that it took to create.

Cheers.
    With that much ram you really don't need a swap partition. I've run backtrack and vanilla Ubuntu on machines with 2Gb of ram with no swap and it runs just fine. As for the system hanging, I'd blame Firefox on that one. It does that on my desktop running Ubuntu. Desktop is an i5 with 4Gb of ram.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-18-2010 at 07:15 PM.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    With that much ram you really don't need a swap partition. I've run backtrack and vanilla Ubuntu on machines with 2Gb of ram with no swap and it runs just fine. As for the system hanging, I'd blame Firefox on that one. It does that on my desktop running Ubuntu. Desktop is an i5 with 4Gb of ram.
    Thanx Barry,

2 questions: Why this doesn't happen on HDD, and, do you recomend other browser?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast