Thread: Backtrack 2 - HD installation problems

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack 2 - HD installation problems

Hello all. I've been having some problems installing Backtrack and I'm hoping that someone here might be able to give me some advice.

I originally tried following the procedures in the video guide to setting up a dual boot installation but the process of copying the files did not complete (I left the process running for at least an hour) and so the rest of the installation failed. I then cleared the XP installation (it's an old laptop) and tried the PDF guide for a single installation - this got as far as using the Backtrack installer but that process hung at 81% and stayed at 81% for about 4 hours. The activity light on the DVD drive stayed lit on both those attempts and in all the subsequent ones.

Is it possible that using a DVD is the cause of the problem? Is there some setting within Linux that I need to change to improve the handling of copying large files from the DVD? Sorry if that's a stupid question, complete Linux virgin.

Thanks in advance

i am also a newbie, and just guessing:

Ever thought about the fact that either your burned DVD has an error or your image? checking the md5 hash of your downloaded ISO Image is essential.

Try wikipedia with "md5sum", this gives you a list of programs for calculating the md5 of your downloaded iso. If it's equal to the md5sums on the backtrack download page, your ISO is correct. Burn it on DVD (perhaps on a different computer than you used for the first one), try again to install.

Good luck to you...

Just burned his ISO

Default solved

It wasn't the iso, it was the DVD. Burnt it at a slower rate and the installation was fine (well, a few noob errors but I got there in the end).

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Just burned his ISO

which instructions worked for you? The .pdf guide? And this is BT2Final?

Just burned his ISO

didn't use any, just created a new partition with partition magic and installed bt there =)