Thread: Not getting many IVs

Just burned his ISO

Default Not getting many IVs

I have decided to try out Back Track and I am currently in the process of cracking my own network. However I get hardly any IVs in airodump-ng. I am able to successfully recieve ARPs and transmit packets... but hardly any IVs show up!

Screenshot:
    hxxp://img122.imageshack.us/img122/7680/snapshot1ut9.png

(change the xx's to tt's)... dont have 15 posts =P

Anyway.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    PP3RKut

Alright im having the same problem, also note that in aireplay-ng it says that you should launch airodump-ng. Now its already running just how u have it and just how i have had it and that doesnt make any sense.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Shavx View Post
    Alright im having the same problem, also note that in aireplay-ng it says that you should launch airodump-ng. Now its already running just how u have it and just how i have had it and that doesnt make any sense.
    Shavx, I believe that message is simply informing you that you use airodump-ng to capture the reply packets, so I wouldn't worry about it. I do not believe it is implying that you do not have it open.

--

Anyway, regarding my first post about not receiving many IVs, I do have a card with a Broadcom chipset. I have read that Broadcom cards can not inject. However, nowhere can I find a definition of what inject means. Can someone please clarify? And would this be the reason I am not receiving any IVs after performing an arpreplay attack to generate traffic? I want to make sure that this is my specific problem before I go out and buy a new wireless card.

Thanks in advance,
    PP3RKut

As far as I know, you must beable to inject ARP. That means you send a request to be part of the network. So the AP says hello to your computer and you say hello back, so packets are being exchanged. Now what aireplay does is it repeats this scenario over and over, so more packets can be gathered. This is the flaw of WEP, because when the AP says hello it brings along the password to check if you have it, and u gather this in IV's. So to make things faster at gathering the packets and cracking the WEP in like 10 min, you need a card that can inject. Other wise depending on how strong your signal is, you'll have to wait on gathering packets the slow way.

Just burned his ISO

Well the arpreplay attack in aireplay-ng says that it is injecting packets (packets sent... see screenshot)... however hardly any are coming back. From what I read the sending rate should be relatively similar to the recieving rate... however this isn't the case with me. Is this what you refer to as unsuccessfull injection? Is the program simply reporting attempting sent packets instead of successfully sent packets?

Thanks for your help,
    PP3RKut

EDIT: My wireless card is the:
    Microsoft MN-720 Wireless 802.11g Notebook Adapter
    (Broadcom Chipset)

PP3RKut, while your injecting open up wireshark and see whats going on with those packets. my guess is that there melformed. i hade that problem. But you dont need to inject to crack most wep. you can aslo try a mass attack on the ap. aireplay-ng -0 0 -a xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx DEVICE the xx is your ap mac and the device your using eth2,eth1,wlan0,wifi0, etc. works for me in most cases.

As for injecting with Broadcom look here..
    hxxp://wxw.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=install_drivers&s=broadcom

of course just replace the x's with the right letters.

i didnt see that you had a MN-720 adapter.
    and dont forget to replace the x's with the right letters and you haft to inject to crack wep. LOL