Thread: Wireless drivers not loading

Threaded View

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Wireless drivers not loading

Hi fellow BackTrack users,

I want to crack my own network (or try so), and i googled a lot and found Backtrack.
    So I downloaded and burned the BackTrack v3 Live cd, and it worked (although i had to use the KDE vesa mode to get an image).

My problem is : it doesn't detect my wireless card! After some searching i found out this has to do with not being supported. I also found how to fix this.

What I did:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    #i downloaded these drivers, as they will make this card compitable to BackTrack its tools
    tar -xzf iwlwifi-5000-ucode-8.24.2.12.gz

mv iwlwifi-5000-ucode-8.24.2.12/iwlwifi-5000-2.ucode /lib/firmware/
    #i dont know what the next does, and it also fails
    modprobe iwlagn
    So it copies the right driver to the firmware folder, i know it will be gone at the next reboot but if this works i just run these few commands every boot.

But not it still doesn't detect my wireless card after doing this, do i need to reload or install it or something? If so please tell me how.

I am using a laptop, booting the BackTrack v3 Live cd (working correct), and my wireless card is Intel 5100 AGN.

Sorry for the noobish questions, but im a bit new to Linux, and as I'm not (yet) planning to work a lot with it i just want this to be fixed. It isn't even required for me to understand all the commands, as long as it works.

I hope someone can help me out, would really appreciate it

Thanks!

Hi fellow BackTrack users,

I want to crack my own network (or try so), and i googled a lot and found Backtrack.
    So I downloaded and burned the BackTrack v3 Live cd, and it worked (although i had to use the KDE vesa mode to get an image).

My problem is : it doesn't detect my wireless card! After some searching i found out this has to do with not being supported. I also found how to fix this.

What I did:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    #i downloaded these drivers, as they will make this card compitable to BackTrack its tools
    tar -xzf iwlwifi-5000-ucode-8.24.2.12.gz

mv iwlwifi-5000-ucode-8.24.2.12/iwlwifi-5000-2.ucode /lib/firmware/
    #i dont know what the next does, and it also fails
    modprobe iwlagn
    So it copies the right driver to the firmware folder, i know it will be gone at the next reboot but if this works i just run these few commands every boot.

But not it still doesn't detect my wireless card after doing this, do i need to reload or install it or something? If so please tell me how.

I am using a laptop, booting the BackTrack v3 Live cd (working correct), and my wireless card is Intel 5100 AGN.

Sorry for the noobish questions, but im a bit new to Linux, and as I'm not (yet) planning to work a lot with it i just want this to be fixed. It isn't even required for me to understand all the commands, as long as it works.

I hope someone can help me out, would really appreciate it

Thanks!
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 10-07-2010 at 11:14 AM.