Thread: No Intel GMA 3150 GPU Support/Resolution

Default No Intel GMA 3150 GPU Support/Resolution

Note: this is cross-posted from my thread in the beginner forum: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...n-support.html

As you can see, there are numerous people with this problem. None of them have found a solution.

I do not get an option for my native resolution. I am running BackTrack 4 Final, and I have an Intel GMA 3150 integrated GPU. My laptop is a Toshiba NB 305. My native resolution is 1024x600.

800x600 is my maximum listed option. I have tried using xrandr to force it to my native resolution, but I just get various errors. I have read through every single thread and post of people with this chipset, and they all have the exact same problem. None them have found any sort of solution. Is there any sort of custom driver I can try to get it to work with BT, or will BT provide support for this chipset in the future?

It is really, really difficult to use BT on 800x600 resolution.

Thanks.

Default Re: No Intel GMA 3150 GPU Support/Resolution

hi,

this is not really a BT issue, this is a general Linux challenge with all these new cards, like
    with this great Windows 7 dedicated chipset from Nvidia (you need the nouveau driver..)

for your card, have a look here:

[ubuntu netbook remix] Ubuntu with Intel GMA 3150 - Ubuntu Forums

/brtw2003

I appreciate the help, but you're actually wrong about it being a Linux issue. I dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 with it, and the resolution was set to its native as soon I installed it. I've never had any problems with it.

That specific person had a flicker problem, but even said he had his native resolution supported. He had a totally separate problem from me.

I am not sure what you mean by "new card," as the chipset was made in 2009 and is actually a pretty bad integrated GPU. It's an Intel integrated GPU, definitely not dedicated, definitely not great, and definitely not Nvidia.

The chipset works flawlessly with the latest version of Ubuntu, and BackTrack also fine at 1920x1200 with my ATI 4870 desktop. This is a specific problem with BackTrack and this integrated GPU.

YES,it is a general Linux issue, BUT Ubuntu 10.04 is already using the latest driver ;-)
    BT4 is NOT based on Ubuntu 10.04 and therefore you don't have always the latest drivers included, as with any other Linux system.

So just have a look in the 10.04 xorg.conf which driver is loaded and compile the same one for your BT4

/brtw2003

Ah, interesting.

That's probably going to take some effort. Is there some guide on how to compile video drivers, across distributions?

Well, I spent a lot of time researching this. I could not find any way to compile a video driver from scratch...and on top of that, I couldn't actually find what video driver I'd need to look for anyway.

Lots of people still aren't getting full resolution support with this chipset on Backtrack. Could anyone help us out?