Thread: Is it possible to penetrate a wireless adapter usb with wep protection enabled?

Hybrid View

Default Is it possible to penetrate a wireless adapter usb with wep protection enabled?

hi guys.we just got our new wimax 4g modem from our ISP recently...and it came with a wireless adapter usb that plugs into the back of the wimax modem to send out the wireless signal and it's wep protected.Since it was wep enabled knowing how easy it is to penetrate wep networks I tried testing out BT4 on my network to make sure my neighbours or intruders won't have an easy tasks to gain access to my network..But what i notice is dat none of the 3 wep attacks worked on it whether it be clientless or with a client connected.So i just thought i'd posts here to make sure that it is impossible to crack a wep network on wireless adapters..Could u guys plz shed some light on this..I would rest at peace if it is not possible to crack my wep network..thank you.

Default Re: Is it possible to penetrate a wireless adapter usb with wep protection enabled?

Switch it to wpa/wpa2 with a long (+15) password and forget about worrying. What are you using to crack WEP?

Default Re: Is it possible to penetrate a wireless adapter usb with wep protection enabled?

switchng to wpa is the obvious thing to do..But that is not the answer i was hoping to see..You see the device doesn't even have an option too switch it to wpa either.It comes this way by default..even the wep key is written on the underside of the little attached adapter for viewing....and cannot be changed...This is why i wanted to know if there is any possible attacks that can be launched against it.Its a wireless adapter not a wireless router...

Quote Originally Posted by platinumsteel View Post
    even the wep key is written on the underside of the little attached adapter for viewing....and cannot be changed...
    It should be possible to change, have you tried to access your gateway's IP trough a web browser? Maybe you can change the encryption there.

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Have you simply tried capturing packets ...

It possibly works differently from a router, so perhaps you just need to start DLing some of your
    favourite po.. uh, tunez, and capture enough packets to run and complete an aircrack session with.

Quote Originally Posted by TAPE View Post
    Have you simply tried capturing packets ...

It possibly works differently from a router, so perhaps you just need to start DLing some of your
    favourite po.. uh, tunez, and capture enough packets to run and complete an aircrack session with.
    Isn't even needed, internal LAN traffic is sufficient as long as it travels trew the WiFi modem/router.
    And most of the time LAN traffic is *alot* quicker then downloading something of teh intern0tz.
    Just copy you precious BT4 iso over the network a couple of times, should be enough.
    "The difference between RAID1 and RAID0 is that the zero stands for how many files you're gonna have after a harddisk failure."

ok i will try to gather a lot more packets round about 300,000 and see what happens.I will get back to u guys and report.

Call you ISP and tell them WEP is insufficient for the protection of your network, systems, and data.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

I have Verizon FIOS and they have infamously implemented insecure WEP protection on their Actiontech routers. My solution was to disable the wireless functionality of their router and plugged my own wireless router into theirs and share the bandwidth out that way. I control the encryption and all other configuration parameters that way, not them.

Quote Originally Posted by hypervista View Post
    I have Verizon FIOS and they have infamously implemented insecure WEP protection on their Actiontech routers. My solution was to disable the wireless functionality of their router and plugged my own wireless router into theirs and share the bandwidth out that way. I control the encryption and all other configuration parameters that way, not them.
    Thanks man for mentioning this great idea.I think i will try that.

Oh and i tried aircrack-ng -K this time and gathered a lot more IV's round about 500,000 and it was able to find the pass..So i think i would work it like wat hypervista did.Cause i have a linksys wrt54gl router flashed with dd-wrt lying around..I would connect it up today and see what's going on..thanks man