Thread: Usb install problems

Default Usb install problems

After I use the BackTrack Live USB Install in the backtrack how to I end up with the bottom. Looks like Lilo and I used Unetbootin. And all boots fine but it just cycles to that defualt, as you see in the attactment that I put. I've tried many methods like the
    LiLi USB Creator from http://www.linuxliveusb.com/. And still same problem. I thought maybe it could be a bad linux. So i checked the md5 and it was fine, but I still thought it could be a problem so I let it download it. It did install correctly or maybe it didn't and im doing something wrong. After I reboot I get the attached picture and no backtrack. That makes me sad. So what am I doing wrong? I followed the how to in backtrack form to the letter.

imge2.png

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Usb install problems

Obviously you did not follow the guide correctly or else this would not happen. Try again and see also the forum faq for more info.
    Posting your hardware info would have been more beneficial than telling us that you are sad.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    Obviously you did not follow the guide correctly or else this would not happen. Try again and see also the forum faq for more info.
    Posting your hardware info would have been more beneficial than telling us that you are sad.
    I have followed the guide as it is said in that page. It should be a simple steps

1. Plug in your usb. Even I get this.
    2. Format to fat32. Easy.
    3. Download Unetbootin. Easy.
    4. Start Unetbootin and select diskimage, and I also let it download it I tried it both ways.
    5. Select your usb and click ok. It was the only usb to the Laptop.

So what did I do wrong? Also what does my hardware have to do with this? If you saw the attachment you would see that it boots something from the usb. But I have a HP F700 2GB of ram, Clock at 1.9GHZ dual core. Windows 7 ultimate just incase I missed something. I know it does boot USB memory sticks. In the pass with the same USB I have made a bootable USB memory of XP PRO. This was a pain in the ass to make but it was possible. It booted right up this was before windows 7 and I hated Vista and I wanted to make a bootable usb just because I can. So I know the laptop can boot off of usb and also that the memory stick will hold the information. I did go into the bios to change the boot order and its correct. I can chose a boot device pressing F9 and selecting my device and the usb is there. Also I can also enter the setup though that way as well. So I do know the workings of my laptop and I know the cabilities. I'm not a compleat novice with computers or its hardware.

So did I miss a step? Do I need to reconfigure some file for it to boot the files that where droped from the iso to the usb?

After I kept trying and trying with unetbootin as the backtrack how to form said, I kept getting no where. I also tried LinuxLive USB Creator 2.6 and got no where. Both methods with the same thing, a count down from 10 and no boot to linux. But knowing me I never give up. If one method doesnt work keep and keep trying till a program works. I thought I was doing something wrong but apparently I wasnt. I followed every step like it said and no go.

This is what worked for me.

1. Download Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.0.3 if newer try that one, download it from this page. Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick | USB Pen Drive Linux

2. Run it and agree to terms. Select your Linux then select the iso.

3. Click on create and enjoy.

I used a Compaq Presario F700 1.9 dual core 2gb of ram. I used a PNY 2GB memory stick. I also tested it on a HP ze5600 laptop, which the usb loaded. I had to wire the laptop and buy a PCI wifi card for it. I think I need to get more ram b/c it has 256 mb of ram and its slow but it loaded.

So whats going on with UnetBootin? Why didn't it work for me? My guess to best answer that is that no method is 100% acurate. Sometimes somethings do not work b/c of how your computer handels data would be my best guess. I have known this for many years but was wondering that maybe I am wrong. And I really wish someone here would prove me wrong. Even tho most computers will all act the same, some because of over usage or some small engergy goes a bit bonky but it doesnt make the chip die. Because of that some computers access the data differently. Appartenly this is what is happening with my laptop. So my guess is to buy a new one. But I will keep my laptop .

I was king of hopeing someone on here would figure out my problem before me. But I guess I'm alone in this quest.

I do things not because they are needed, not becuase its a challenge. I do them for the simple fact that I can.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 10-10-2010 at 06:53 PM.