Thread: Dell laptop problem.

Just burned his ISO

Default Dell laptop problem.

I have a Dell Latitude 110L , i got it new about 6 years ago. (i know i should upgrade).
    I have backtrack4 on disk and available on virtual machine.
    I read through the forums and did searches and couldn't find anything to help me resolve this, if i missed something a link to what i missed would be greatly appreciated.
    I originally tried running backtrack4 in VMware and i found out only USB wireless adapters will work in VMware so when i tried using my build in wireless card that was why it didn't work.
    Since then i have tried running it right off the computer, once i'm in the GUI i am a little lost. I have taken linux classes and i'm no expert but i know my way around and i know basic commands.
    I tried using a USB wireless adapter once in the GUI, and i found it under devices, but it wasn't configured right, or even at all.
    I tried the (start> network> Start network, but i believe i need to get the wlan configured. I honestly don't know what to do to get this working.
    I am doing this to learn how to crack WEP set up at a in home lab.
    I am open minded to alternatives. I was wondering if anyone knew about any windows XP programs i could use that is compatible with my wireless card.
    I am currently ordering a brand new USB wireless adapter which should come next week and i'm hoping i can resolve most of my problems with that.
    However i would still love to know how to configure a USB wireless card to get to the point where i can get onto the internet.
    Thanks a lot, i hope someone can help point me in the right direction.
    Also let me know if you need to know more specs on anything

Default Re: Dell laptop problem.

No one will be giving you tips about Windows XP programs here, given that this forum is for BackTrack Linux.

How do you configure a wireless card in BT and connect to the Net?

1. Ensure the hardware driver for the wireless card is loaded. Use the lsusb or lshw commands to find the device name if necessary, so you can research what the name of the driver might be. Use various module management commands like lsmod and modprobe to check if its loaded.
    2. Connect to a wireless access point (there are command line and GUI methods, and the specific details will differ depending on what type of encryption the AP uses)
    3. Configure the IP address and subnet mask for the interface, and an appropriate DNS server and default route for your system, either manually of automatically from your AP using DHCP.

Considering that Backtrack is a Penetration Testing distribution though, we generally expect that people using it will have the base knowledge to work this stuff out on their own.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you for your reply Lupin.( loved that show btw).
    I will do my best to try your recommendations. I feel like i might hit a wall with the drivers, if need be i'll come back and with more information about it.
    I do have some basic knowledge about how to navigate through the command line and also how to edit scripts. But i'm not so skilled in specific drivers and original configuration of new hardware. Thanks

Just burned his ISO

Thanks again lupid i succesfully configured my build in wireless card, but upon attempting to use airmon , airdump, and aircrack, i could not successfully crack the password. The packets i collected took about 3 hours to collect about 50,000 packets (IV's) and it wasn't working. I suspect my wireless card is simply incompatable, or if that is the case would it not let me use those commands at all?
    I just bought a new USB wireless adapter

Amazon.com: Alfa 500mW AWUS036H USB Wireless Adapter 802.11 b/g Network Radio Card. Includes 2dBi Omni Antenna: Electronics

and i also bought the upgraded antenna.

It came with a disk that says it supports driver for linux kernel model 2.4 , what kernel is backtrack, is it compatible? and if so how can i configure it succesfully?
    It came with a disk for the drivers, but if i'm running backtrack off a CD, there is no way for me to put in a CD.
    Do i need to partition some space to fully instal Back track to use this?

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Re: Dell laptop problem.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    No one will be giving you tips about Windows XP programs here, given that this forum is for BackTrack Linux.

How do you configure a wireless card in BT and connect to the Net?

1. Ensure the hardware driver for the wireless card is loaded. Use the lsusb or lshw commands to find the device name if necessary, so you can research what the name of the driver might be. Use various module management commands like lsmod and modprobe to check if its loaded.
    2. Connect to a wireless access point (there are command line and GUI methods, and the specific details will differ depending on what type of encryption the AP uses)
    3. Configure the IP address and subnet mask for the interface, and an appropriate DNS server and default route for your system, either manually of automatically from your AP using DHCP.

Considering that Backtrack is a Penetration Testing distribution though, we generally expect that people using it will have the base knowledge to work this stuff out on their own.
    > currently i use to hv Dell vostro1014
    > i hv no connection v my wireless network , it means when i use wicd apt ,no wireless network is my error.
    >when i used " Iwconfig" my error is = No wireless extensions
    Althought i hv connection v wired network (eth0) v the same router .

i dont know why my labtop can not detect the wireless in iwcd apt.

thx alot.