Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Workaround: BT4-r1 lacks 1024x600 Resolution support for Intel Integrated Graphics.

Just burned his ISO

Default Workaround: BT4-r1 lacks 1024x600 Resolution support for Intel Integrated Graphics.

BT4-r1 does not yet have support for the Intel "Pineview" platform (Atom N450 with GMA 3150 integrated graphics), and as such those of us with this and newer Intel integrated graphics platforms are forced to use VESA at 800x600 resolution. (waste of an already very limited netbook desktop space).

To complicate the situation, there is a known issue with some of the latest Intel integrated graphics platforms where the video hardware BIOS does not report all supported resolutions. *** No amount of modifications to the xorg.conf file ALONE will change this fact! ***

There are several unresolved disparate posts around here that allude to these issues. The goal for this thread is to provide you with the resources necessary to achieve/enable 1024x600 resolution in X using VESA until BT4 is able to meet the necessary package dependencies required (X-org 1.8) to upgrade to the latest version (2.12) of the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver required for full hardware acceleration support of the latest Intel integrated graphics platforms.

(Intel Linux Graphics: 2010Q2)

I'm not going to write a complete tutorial as the links I've provided below do a great job on their own. Also g00gle is your friend!

There is a legacy tool, 915resolution, that provides the ability to do a non-persistent/once per boot modification to the Intel Video BIOS to enable support for unlisted resolutions. See below for supporting links:

(915resolution: Intel Video BIOS Hack)
    (Intel Linux Graphics: Hardware Matrix)

You can't use apt-get because there is a package conflict between 915resolution and the currently installed xserver-xorg-video-intel driver. Plus the package is an older version that does not have support for the latest intel platforms. You'll need to compile the patched version's source which you can download from the 5th post from the following thread:

(Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - 915resolution patched)

Next all you have to do is put in your hooks at boot, so that you don't have to manually run 915resolution each time you reboot. I'm not going to get into all this here, but if you skip down in the following link where they talk about hooking in 915resolution you can pick it up there. You should't need to `apt-get install v86d` as it's already included in Backtrack, and you can actually comment out the parts about loading up the uvesafb module as backtrack uses KMS by default (i915 module) on boot. The following resources are not BackTrack specific; however, the framebuffer hook "FBHack for Eee PC" works beautifully for getting 915resolution run each time you boot:

(DebianEeePC/HowTo/SplashyWithDmcryptAndStandardGrub - Debian Wiki)

Troubleshooting:
    A very basic xorg.conf should be all you need if you get 915resolution to add your native resolution. I was only able to get the console to ever boot in 800x600-24 as the fbhack never actually occured before KMS created the framebuffer (and using uvesafb, 1024x600-24 would always be off sync); however, you will be able to get into X in 1024x600-24 using VESA . Make sure you start with the basic xorg.conf (`dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg`) and then add a Display SubSection starting with 16-bit and your desired resolutions and work your way up:

(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution)
    (KMS - ArchWiki)
    (Uvesafb - ArchWiki)

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Workaround: BT4-r1 lacks 1024x600 Resolution support for Intel Integrated Graphic

Since I can't recreate this (nor would I really want to, seems like a hassle) I can't actually say this is a BT fix, but since you went to all of the trouble I'll just take your word on it and move it there.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Workaround: BT4-r1 lacks 1024x600 Resolution support for Intel Integrated Graphic

Can anyone verify this works before i go through and try all this, i dont want to waste my day off, know what I mean?

sorry to re reply

this issue seems insignificant but it causes nessus to no longer have scroll bars running at 800x600 or lower thus you can no longer add policies and plugins to configure scans. It also makes it so the konsole window used with airodump-ng doesnt allow me to see anything more than the first letter of a networks essid, so im anxious to resolve this so i can get more funtionality out of the distro

CONFIRMED

the 915resolution bios hack and 915resolution bios hack does work after some tinkering

however loading the hook at boot i cannot get to work, i am however a linux newb so that doesnt help
    thanks OP!
    Last edited by sickness; 11-08-2010 at 05:36 AM.

Hi all, Please akuj1n can you explain exactly which steps are needed for the workaround to work? i mean, step by step please.
    thank you very much for helping us!

ps:
    if it will work for me i will translate the solution in Italian language for who, like me, has the same issue (there is another thread open on this topic, in italian language)..

bye folks

Here is my xorg.conf that got me up to 1368x768 on my sony viao with intel integrated graphics. I don't know why this worked but it does.

Code:
    # If your card can handle it, a higher default color depth (like 24 or 32)
    # is highly recommended.

#   DefaultDepth 8
    #   DefaultDepth 16
       DefaultDepth 24
    #   DefaultDepth 32

# "1024x768" is also a conservative usable default resolution.  If you
    # have a better monitor, feel free to try resolutions such as
    # "1152x864", "1280x1024", "1600x1200", and "1800x1400" (or whatever your
    # card/monitor can produce)

Subsection "Display"
            Depth       8
            Modes "1024x768" "1152x864" "1280x1024"
        EndSubsection
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       16
            Modes "1024x768" "1152x864" "1280x1024"
        EndSubsection
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes "1152x864"
        EndSubsection
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       32
            Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubsection

EndSection
    Notice there is only one mode listed under depth 24 and its not even allowing me to use that mode. I don't get it either.
    "Never do anything against conscience -- even if the state demands it."
    -- Albert Einstein

Is this confirmed to work with Pineview/GMA 3150?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by falseteeth View Post
    Is this confirmed to work with Pineview/GMA 3150?
    This workaround is confirmed to work with the ASUS Eee PC 1005PEB which uses the Intel N450 Pineview/GMA 3150 chipset.

Part 1: Please see the following for more information on how to compile the patched 915resolution source code:

Download the 915resolution source code tarball ("915resolution-0.5.3-patched20100828.tar.gz") provided in the following link:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...ttach&id=31964

Extract the tarball using the following command

Code:
    tar xzvf 915resolution-0.5.3-patched20100828.tar.gz
    Change directories into the extracted directory

Code:
    cd ./915resolution-0.5.3-patched20100828
    Compile the "915resolution" source code

Code:
    make
    Install the "915resoultion" binary which copies it to the "/usr/sbin/" directory

Code:
    sudo make install
    Part 2: Please see the following for more information on how to create the "FBHack for Eee PC" hook/script for getting 915resolution to run each time you boot:

DebianEeePC/HowTo/SplashyWithDmcryptAndStandardGrub - Debian Wiki

The above resource is not BackTrack specific; however, the framebuffer hook "FBHack for Eee PC" works beautifully for getting 915resolution to run each time you boot. Please skip down in the above tutorial link to the "Put framebuffer initialization in initramfs" section, where they talk about hooking in 915resolution. We will pick it up there. You should NOT need to `apt-get install v86d` as it's already included in Backtrack, and we will actually comment out the parts about loading up the uvesafb module as backtrack uses KMS by default (i915 module) on boot.

Below you will find the files I used for getting this solution to run.

This is my 915resolution hook located at "/etc/initramfs-tools/hooks/915resolution"

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

PREREQ=""
    prereqs()
    {
       echo "$PREREQ"
    }
    case $1 in
    # get pre-requisites
    prereqs)
       prereqs
       exit 0
       ;;
    esac

. /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hook-functions

copy_exec /usr/sbin/915resolution /sbin
    copy_exec /sbin/v86d /sbin
    This is my framebuffer script located at "/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-top/framebuffer"

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

PREREQ=""
    prereqs()
    {
       echo "$PREREQ"
    }
    case $1 in
    # get pre-requisites
    prereqs)
       prereqs
       exit 0
       ;;
    esac

echo "FBHACK FOR EeePC"

for x in $(cat /proc/cmdline); do
        case $x in
          fbhack|video=*)
             echo "creating /dev/mem file"
             mknod /dev/mem c 1 1
             if [ -e /dev/zero ] ; then
                echo "Dev Zero Exists" 
             else
                mknod /dev/zero c 1 5
             fi
             if [ -e /dev/tty1 ] ; then
                echo "tty1 exists"
             else
                mknod /dev/tty1 c 4 1
             fi
             if [ -e /dev/console ] ; then
                echo "console exists"
             else
                mknod /dev/console c 5 1
             fi
             echo "Set 915resolution to 1024x600-24"
             /sbin/915resolution 45 1024 600 24
             depmod -a
             /sbin/modprobe fbcon
             #echo "modprobe uvesafb"
             #chk=`cat /proc/modules  | grep uvesafb`
             #if [ "x$chk" != "x" ] ; then
             #	rmmod uvesafb 
             #fi
             #/sbin/modprobe uvesafb mode_options=800x600-24 scroll=ywrap 
             echo "Done!"
          ;;
        esac
    done
    This is my "/etc/initramfs-tools/modules" file:

Code:
    fbcon
    vesa
    aes_i586
    xts
    Now test if all is working. Rebuild your initramfs with:

Code:
    update-initramfs -u -k `uname -r`
    Edit your grub menu.lst, duplicate the kernel entry, and add fbhack to your kernel option. This is my grub menu.lst ("/boot/grub/menu.lst") provided only as a reference/example of the kernel options ("ro quiet vga=0x314 fbhack"). DO NOT COPY MINE!

Code:
    title		Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.34
    uuid		1368f6b0-4357-4efc-8362-9d5c87a28db6
    kernel		/vmlinuz-2.6.34 root=/dev/mapper/vg-root ro quiet vga=0x314 fbhack
    initrd		/initrd.img-2.6.34
    quiet
    I'm running BackTrack 4 from a full disk encrypted SDHC card, and as such my "/boot/grub/menu.lst" will be different than yours.

The below unrelated tutorial is the one I used to achieve persistent full-disk encryption:

Backtrack 4 – Bootable USB Thumb Drive with “Full” Disk Encryption

Troubleshooting:

Make sure you start with the basic xorg.conf:

Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Then add a Display Subsection starting with 16-bit and your desired resolutions and work your way up. Below is my xorg.conf:

Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    	DefaultDepth 24 
    	Subsection "Display"
    		Depth   24 
            	Modes "1024x600" "800x600"
        	EndSubsection
    EndSection
    Reboot!

Code:
    reboot
    Start X!

Code:
    startx
    If your splash no longer works, run:

Code:
    fix-splash800

Just burned his ISO

My word of gratitude to spyd3rweb for making steps in 915 hook clear. I confirm this workaround to operate successfully at Acer Aspire One D260, Atom N450 + GMA3150.

The only difference was in the absence of v86d package as reported during update-initramfs command. Happened to manage this with the help of apt-get
    Last edited by Jurimaru; 11-16-2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Just burned his ISO

Does not work, on Eeepc 1001pxb, can't get hook to load, however, manualy loading it works, but get error, with 915resolution module, fbcon module Fatal error.
    Google it, and got few answers, about it been integrated into the kernel, but my modules file in initramfs has it on it, by default.

Also i don't understant what you mean by working my way up the xorg.conf file.

What i'm doing wrong?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by AngelMasters View Post

Also i don't understan[d] what you mean by working my way up the xorg.conf file.
    I was suggesting that you start with 16-bit as the default depth and work your way up to 24-bit. At first I had an issue with attempting to go straight to 24-bit; however, it turned out to actually be a problem in 915resolution where the mode I was replacing didn't work with 24bit, but it worked with 16-bit.

After you figure out which mode to replace, and if it is different than the one I used above, make sure the change is reflected in your framebuffer script located at "/etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-top/framebuffer"

Quote Originally Posted by AngelMasters View Post
    Does not work, on Eeepc 1001pxb, can't get hook to load, however, manualy loading it works, but get error, with 915resolution module, fbcon module Fatal error... What i'm doing wrong?
    Before you attempt to get the framebuffer hook to work, you must first make sure that you can run 915resolution manually. Can you post the 915resolution command you are using and the resulting error(s)?

Also, before you repost please see the following readme for more information on how to use 915resolution:

(http://915resolution.mango-lang.org/readme.html)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast