Thread: Fine with linux, new to network security (Looking for tutorials?)

Just burned his ISO

Default Fine with linux, new to network security (Looking for tutorials?)

So I'm not new to linux (though I am new to .rpm distros.... I prefer debian or arch. Whatever.) and know a bit of coding - enough to recognize things at least, and do a bit of html, c/c++, and pascal.

I confess, though, that I am a complete network security neophyte.

Some (surprisingly friendly) folk on freenode directed me here, but I'm not finding a **Level 1 Start Here** or anything like that. I'm not expecting anyone to hold my hand, as that would remove the challenge (i.e. the fun), but I feel like I didn't just jump in the deep end, but rather was dropped into the middle of the ocean with no land in sight, and I have no idea which way to go first.

Any help at all is appreciated!

Thanks in advance :-)

Default Re: Fine with linux, new to network security (Looking for tutorials?)

BackTrack isn't an .rpm based distro, it uses the .deb package format for package management.

Start by going to the HowTo forum and sort by number of views and try out some of the tutorials that sound interesting to you. Maybe also look at "Metasploit Unleashed" (Google it).
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Yeh, I use mostly CrunchBang Statler (alpha 2) which just switched from Ubuntu based to straight Debian based - I'm down with the sudo aptitude upgrade ;-)

Thanks for the pointers - I'll do that (with what I have)

Development since I got here (just got the iso to finally md5 right, I figure there was a problem with the iso for bt4r1 for a while? Anyway, when I tried to install it, after almost 40 minutes ubiquity hung on me, and there's nothing there, even though it said it was copying files. I know bt forums don't support using bt toolset on other distro's, but until I can get bt4 (f or r1 idc) running (w/o kde...ugh...) I'll just check some tutorials for the tools to familiarize myself, and hope the tools are in the Debian repos (as well as the Ubuntu ones. When is bt getting off the Ubuntu wagon, btw? 10.04 seems to be scaring a *lot* of distros off... I don't blame them!)

Cheers,
    Jamie

Read hacking for dummies, metasploit unleashed, do the social engineering tutorials, check out g0tm1lk blog for other tuts.
    for very basic. If you are really resourceful, try and find a offensive security course too. great stuff there.
    and just keep using the OS. good luck!

I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.