Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Booting Win 7 and BT4Final without GRUB

Just burned his ISO

Default Dual Booting Win 7 and BT4Final without GRUB

Over the past week and a half, I have installed Win 7 and BT4F approximately 17 times. Somewhere along the line, I end up with GRUB errors: 12, 13, 17 etc. Is there a way to install this whole mess without having to write GRUB to the MBR? Here's my system setup and an example of what I would like to accomplish (if feasible).

First disk: 120G drive - first channel of one controller
    Second disk: 400G drive first channel of second controller

I would like to have Win 7 on the 120G drive and BT4F on the 400G... Booting from some bootmanager on a CD... Hoping to not have to mess with the MBR and screw around with GRUB... Given all the posts I've been reading about GRUB and it's errors, it seems to be a problem child. When it gets along with others, its a model citizen... but given the chance, it becomes psychotic...

Good friend of the forums espreto's Avatar

Default Re: Dual Booting Win 7 and BT4Final without GRUB

Over the past week and a half, I have installed Win 7 and BT4F approximately 17 times.
    Woww! Really?
    Use RC1!

Dual Boot | BackTrack Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution

Regards,
    (gdb) disass m(y_br)ain

®

Just burned his ISO

You could always try LILO... did bt4f come with grub (legacy) or grub2?

Also, you're installing windows first, *then* bt, right? (duh, otherwise you wouldn't get grub errors - sorry)

Have you tried parting off a 3rd small bit for something like puppy, dls, or slack just to get *it's* bootloader working?

I've never had a problem with GRUB that I couldn't fix, so maybe there are just config files that need manual tuning? did it acknowledge your W7 install when it put grub on the mbr? (and does bt use the ubiquity installer/did it for bt4f?)

Just trying to throw some ideas out - hope something catches.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by espreto View Post
    Woww! Really?
    Use RC1!
    Gee... if it were only that easy...

Without jumping through hoops bigger than this problem, R1 doesn't play nice with this particular broadcom card in the desktop. Final does just fine without doing a thing...

Quote Originally Posted by jclark5093 View Post
    You could always try LILO... did bt4f come with grub (legacy) or grub2?

Also, you're installing windows first, *then* bt, right? (duh, otherwise you wouldn't get grub errors - sorry)

Have you tried parting off a 3rd small bit for something like puppy, dls, or slack just to get *it's* bootloader working?

I've never had a problem with GRUB that I couldn't fix, so maybe there are just config files that need manual tuning? did it acknowledge your W7 install when it put grub on the mbr? (and does bt use the ubiquity installer/did it for bt4f?)

Just trying to throw some ideas out - hope something catches.
    BT4Final uses install.sh
    I see the two partitions for Win7 each time during the BT4 install...

Windows 7 creates a 100M partion as the first partition and the rest of the space for Win 7... the 100M area is its boot area...

Typically the scenario follows one of these paths: a)install win, check boot, install bt4, check win, check bt4, use bt4 or win, reboot poof... pick your favorite grub error...

b)install win, check boot, install bt4... grub error on reboot

between each of these installation attempts, I've been deleting partitions, zeroing out the drives, etc...

This all comes about from not wanting to hear the wife complain about the computer not working AGAIN?! a second computer would solve that problem i know, but not an option... if there's a way to put grub or lilo or some other manager on a cd, properly configured, that would point to the loader for windows on the 120g and the loader for bt4 on the 400g ... i'd be set...

UPDATE:
    Windows installed on first controller, first channel - 120G
    BT4Final installed on second controller, first channel - 400G

After digging through the BIOS, I found that I can boot off a USB stick. Given that information, I downloaded unetbootin and used PLoP as the boot manager.

Steps for successful setup:
    1. I installed Windows 7 to the 120G, it creates a 100M system partition containing the Windows Boot Manager and the rest of the drive partitioned for Windows 7
    2. I installed BT4Final to the 400G, using the guided install option for the whole disk.
    3. Clicked the Advanced button and told GRUB to install to the BT4 partition.
    4. Downloaded PLoP and unetbootin. Created a USB stick boot manager.
    5. Set BIOS boot order to CD, USB, hard drive group

Can now boot Windows or BT4 via the PLoP install on the USB stick. Removing the USB stick takes me straight into Windows (making the wife happy).

Next step: figuring out how to make the Broadcom 4318 card in this system work with BT4R1 (like it does with BT4F).
    Last edited by lupin; 09-19-2010 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Merging...

Just burned his ISO

I had the same issue and after hours of working through all the fixes I could find with 0 positive results.. something dawned on me...

I have twin 250 gb hdds
    win 7 on sda
    BT4R1 on sdb

just open up the boot menu on restart (F2,F12,etc..) and choose the second drive. No PLop, GAG or reinstalling grub.. I feel like a tool.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Easiest way and worked for me is:
    1) Put drive A in laptop and install Win7
    2) Take drive A out and put drive B in and install Backtrack.
    3) Put drive A back into laptop
    4) Use laptops boot menu (most have a boot menu option on startup)

It's near impossible to screw up.

[edit] apparently I missed reading the post above me glad you figured it out

Just burned his ISO

Gee... if it were only that easy...

Without jumping through hoops bigger than this problem, R1 doesn't play nice with this particular broadcom card in the desktop. Final does just fine without doing a thing...

BT4Final uses install.sh
    I see the two partitions for Win7 each time during the BT4 install...

Windows 7 creates a 100M partion as the first partition and the rest of the space for Win 7... the 100M area is its boot area...

Typically the scenario follows one of these paths: a)install win, check boot, install bt4, check win, check bt4, use bt4 or win, reboot poof... pick your favorite grub error...

b)install win, check boot, install bt4... grub error on reboot

between each of these installation attempts, I've been deleting partitions, zeroing out the drives, etc...

This all comes about from not wanting to hear the wife complain about the computer not working AGAIN?! a second computer would solve that problem i know, but not an option... if there's a way to put grub or lilo or some other manager on a cd, properly configured, that would point to the loader for windows on the 120g and the loader for bt4 on the 400g ... i'd be set...

UPDATE:

After digging through the BIOS, I found that I can boot off a USB stick. Given that information, I downloaded unetbootin and used PLoP as the boot manager.

1. I installed Windows 7 to the 120G, it creates a 100M system partition containing the Windows Boot Manager and the rest of the drive partitioned for Windows 7
    2. I installed BT4Final to the 400G, using the guided install option for the whole disk.
    Quote Originally Posted by irunwithscissors View Post
    Can now boot Windows or BT4 via the PLoP install on the USB stick. Removing the USB stick takes me straight into Windows (making the wife happy).
    Next step: figuring out how to make the Broadcom 4318 card in this system work with BT4R1 (like it does with BT4F).

Can you elaborate on this. I have BT4R1 on a stick as well. I used Unetbootin to install it and it boots and runs fine. I tried your method with PLoP and could not get the stick to boot.

Could you post your exact steps?

I tried the disk image and the iso on the stick with no joy.
    thanks

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by irunwithscissors View Post
    UPDATE:

Wow, That sound like a really good idea. I'll like very much to do the same - BT4 load option will only show up if I plug USB stick.
    The thing is, that I didn't read your post untill I already installed BT4 along with WinXP on the same drive.
    I didn't change any of the initial settings, so I guess that means that Grub installed on the MBR on my machine? How can I check this?
    And if it is, can I achive something like you did?

I'll happy if you can elborate some more on how you did all the proccess.
    Sorry, but I'm (still) a newbie..

Thanx in advance.

Just burned his ISO

Am writing for the 2nd time coz after registering, just to post my possible solution to the dual booting problem, the website, somehow, did not realize me as a registered user.
    My solution is some small but mega useful software known as EasyBCD. Its by "NeoSmart Technologies" and its FREE. You can download it at Download EasyBCD 2.0.2 - NeoSmart Technologies
    If you have installed any number of OSes but cant chose between them during the booting process coz only one potion shows up then this software will solve it.
    Just install it on the OS that you can boot into then when you run it, Press the "Add New Entry" button on the left, Chose the tab corresponding to the OS [windows, Linux or Mac] that you want to be added to the boot option and the software will auto detect the rest about that OS. Press "Add Entry" and you only need to reboot to see the Magic.
    You can also Add an OS installed on some External/Portable media onto the bootloader using the software.
    Hope this saves your day.

Just burned his ISO

This is for booting Windows 7 from one harddrive and booting Backtrack from an other harddrive.

I have the same problem, but I found a very simple fix for it. Main drive is a is 136GB raid 0 drive, with a 36gb extra drive and a 1.5 tb date drive.

Main drive has windows 7 on it
    Extra drive 36GB I want to put bt4 r1 on.

Here is what you do:
    Boot up bt4 live from cd or usb drive.
    Double click the install.sh.
    Select your city.
    Select keyboard layout.
    Pick your drive. (I picked the 36GB harddrive)
    This is the important step, in the ready to install window, click the advance button, brings up a window, "Install boot loader" should be x'ed, and from "device for boot loader installation" pick the 36gb drive.
    Click install, thats its.

All you have to do is press esc when you are booting up (or go in bios and put the 36gb harddive as first boot) and choose what harddrive you want to boot first.

Normally my main drive Windows 7 boots first, but when I want to load up Backtrack I press esc and enter the boot manager and change it to 36GB drive and it boots directly to Backtrack no grub at all. Much simpler then the usb boot driver method imo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast