Thread: really newbye...setting wireless for Acer aspire one...help _

Just burned his ISO

Default really newbye...setting wireless for Acer aspire one...help _

Hi, I install bt4 from usb and everything went just fine...until I discovered that the wirless wasn't working...

I tried to find the drivers but Acer seems not to make unix drivers for Athlon hardware.
    Tried also with "mad wifi" but with no result...iwconfig-->no wireless extention...

I have other 2 OS installed(ubuntu and debian) and on those I made wireless to work but not on bt4...help anyone...help!

Hi, I installed bt4 with an usb and everything went just fine...until I discovered that the wireless wasn't working...

I tried to find the drivers but it seems that Acer doesn't make them for Unix system _

I have other two OS installed(debian and ubuntu) and on them I made it to make wirless work but not on bt...
    I tried using "mad wifi" but with no result...iwconfig-->no wireless extensions

Anyone help...
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 09-19-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Default Re: really newbye...setting wireless for Acer aspire one...help _

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenPenguin View Post
    Hi, I install bt4 from usb and everything went just fine...until I discovered that the wirless wasn't working...
    I tried to find the drivers but Acer seems not to make unix drivers for Athlon hardware.
    Tried also with "mad wifi" but with no result...iwconfig-->no wireless extention...
    I have other 2 OS installed(ubuntu and debian) and on those I made wireless to work but not on bt4...help anyone...help!
    With only this info, there's nothing I can do to help. You should have specified the chipset of the wireless device or, at least, the model of the computer. Also, post your "ifconfig -a" output.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: really newbye...setting wireless for Acer aspire one...help _

...backtrack is based on ubuntu so follow the same steps as you did there..

did you start wicd?
    /etc/init.d/wicd start

Default Re: newbye...setting wireless for Acer aspire one...help _

Can you document (in detail), the troubleshooting steps you have attempted so far, any error messages you have found and the output of the relevant diagnostic commands please. This will help people assist you.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Default Re: newbye...setting wireless for Acer aspire one...help _

The output from 'lspci | grep Net' would help quite a bit. If you do iwconfig does it show the card?

Are you using a network manager?

Just burned his ISO

Default Riferimento: really newbye...setting wireless for Acer aspire one...help _

Solved!!!
    First I tried with apt-get ugrate to see what could happen...but all went worse...so I decided to upgrate the kernel but with no result at all...
    Then, and I was really desperate at this point, I decided to install bt4 R1 and the wireless card(Atheros) was recognized without any problem...

really don't know what the problem was but now it's solved and in 5 minutes I got my first WEP password(from my house wifi)

Thank you all really much for the support!!!

P.S. @ IId0seII, I tried the same procedure I'd done with ubuntu and also the one for debian, started wicd and tried everything I could with ifconfig