Thread: HDD install with broken DVD drive

Just burned his ISO

Default HDD install with broken DVD drive

I've been trying to install BT4(r2) on an old laptop I have - strangely the DVD drive will read CDs, but not DVDs. Apparently it's a common fault with this type of drive, so I've been trying to install via USB.

Here's where my problems come in. This laptop doesn't have a USB boot option in the BIOS, so I've installed PloP boot manager for windows, and am able to boot from a USB key I created with Unetbootin and BT4-final-R2. Everything goes well up until I click Install.sh on the desktop - where the cursor just freezes. It's definitely a crash, as I've left it like that for over an hour in hope it's just a slow system!

I checked the MD5 of my ISO and everything checks out, and I've tried different USB keys, all with the same problem.

An ideal solution would be if I could install from CD, since this is working whilst my DVD isn't. I've read that I can't install BT3 then upgrade to BT4, so I'm currently downloading BT4-final and BT4-beta ISOs in the hope I can make them work with Unetbootin. BT4-beta is frustratingly close to being able to be installed via CD.. just a few Mb too large

I've also used LiLi to create a USB key with BT4(r2) ISO, and it crashed on install.sh in the same way. I'm going to try LiLi and Unetbootin with both BT4-beta and BT4-final, and hope to get this working.

I'm just looking to install over XP on this laptop.. not bothered about dual boot at all, so if there's any solutions I've overlooked, I'd appreciate any pointers in the right direction

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: HDD install with broken DVD drive

You could try to install BT on your HDD from a VBox/VMware I remember there being a guide on the forum on how to do this.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

Thanks Sickness..

I considered that, but doubt my laptop would be able to handle XP, VMware and BT4 very well.

I'm looking into borrowing a friends DVD drive to enable a full HDD install of BT4.

Thanks anyway

You can always get ide/sata to usb converter. Remove your HD from laptop, plug in the converter and your HD to another computer and install BT that way. It should do the trick. Those converters are $10 - $20.

Quote Originally Posted by boxter View Post
    Thanks Sickness..

I considered that, but doubt my laptop would be able to handle XP, VMware and BT4 very well.

I'm looking into borrowing a friends DVD drive to enable a full HDD install of BT4.

Thanks anyway
    I am saying install the Backtrack from your VMware on your Hard drive.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !