now im trying to customise my backtrack
    everything is great
    but when i try to install my nvidia driver to it it did not work
    of course cuz the X server is on
    now i know how to shut the X server down with ALT+CTRL+BACKSPACE
    but this will shut my X server down not the one im customising
    so is there a command to turn the X server off
    thanks
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 09-05-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Removed color and size tags

Default Re: [need help]How to shut down the x server

Have you tried Dragon Menu -> Logout ?

Just burned his ISO

thanks for replay
    and yes i tried it too > IT DID NOT WORK

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Here's an idea let's look on google for shutdown x server ubuntu or shutdown x server linux.
    Either way you will find information and when you do start trying it until something works.
    Once it does come back here and report your success, indicating what you have done.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

but when i try to install my nvidia driver to it it did not work
    of course cuz the X server is on
    ermm... actually, there is no problem installing a video driver from X. at best you would have to restart your session for the new driver to be loaded correctly.
    now i know how to shut the X server down with ALT+CTRL+BACKSPACE
    but this will shut my X server down not the one im customising
    so is there a command to turn the X server off
    thanks
    you seem to feel as though there are multiple instances of X running on your system (perhaps being confused by being able to run multiple consoles via ALT+F1-F7?), however this is unlikely. You only have a single instance of X running, unless you are nesting (which I doubt) and if you were, you could close the secondary window rather simply.

CTL+ALT+BKSPACE will, certainly, kill X. Logging out as Snayler recommended would be the cleaner of your options.
    If you really want to ensure that you are closing X entirely, you could run (from the command line):
    Code:
    ps aux|grep X
    and manually kill all threads of X that are running or perhaps try
    Code:
    pkill X
    but this is a bit extreme, would only replicate CTL+ALT+BKSPACE and I doubt that it really has anything at all to do with your issue.

I suspect, instead, that you are simply confused as to what is happening and may want to research any given errors that you are receiving...

as Archangel-Amael mentioned, you should certainly return and let us know what the issue actually was (to help others when they search for this type of issue).

good luck with that.
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    Here's an idea let's look on google for shutdown x server ubuntu or shutdown x server linux.
    Either way you will find information and when you do start trying it until something works.
    Once it does come back here and report your success, indicating what you have done.
    ok thanks (what is google)
    I HACKED MANY THINGS AND CREATED AND PROGRAMED MY OWN FAKE AP(NOT THE ONE IN BACKTRACK)ITS VERY COOL WITH SO MANY Attributes
    NETX UNDERSTAND THEN YOU JUDGE
    you did not understand me boy and i know how to shut the [*censored*] server down ok but u obviously
    you did not understand
    next time understand then replay

Quote Originally Posted by macphail View Post
    ermm... actually, there is no problem installing a video driver from X. at best you would have to restart your session for the new driver to be loaded correctly.
    you seem to feel as though there are multiple instances of X running on your system (perhaps being confused by being able to run multiple consoles via ALT+F1-F7?), however this is unlikely. You only have a single instance of X running, unless you are nesting (which I doubt) and if you were, you could close the secondary window rather simply.

CTL+ALT+BKSPACE will, certainly, kill X. Logging out as Snayler recommended would be the cleaner of your options.
    If you really want to ensure that you are closing X entirely, you could run (from the command line):
    Code:
    ps aux|grep X
    and manually kill all threads of X that are running or perhaps try
    Code:
    pkill X
    but this is a bit extreme, would only replicate CTL+ALT+BKSPACE and I doubt that it really has anything at all to do with your issue.

I suspect, instead, that you are simply confused as to what is happening and may want to research any given errors that you are receiving...

as Archangel-Amael mentioned, you should certainly return and let us know what the issue actually was (to help others when they search for this type of issue).

good luck with that.
    THE ISSUE WAS THAT
    I WAS CUSTOMIZING MY BACKTRACK ISO AND WANTED TO INSTALL NVIDIA DRIVER ON IT
    WHICH I GRAB FROM NVIDIA AND WHEN I WAS TRYING TO INSTALL IT ON THE ISO IT WAS SAYING THAT THE X IS ON AND I WAS TRYING TO SHUTDOWN THE X WITH (ALT+CTRL+BACKSPACE) BUT IT WAS SHUTING MY X SERVER DOWN NOT THE ONE I WAS CUSTOMIZING BUT THE COMMAND
    Code:
    pkill X
    WORKED AND SOLVED IT
    thank you very much the but you did not understand the issue but you solved it
    THANK YOU
    Code:
    pkill X
    worked
    Last edited by lupin; 09-08-2010 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Removed white font tags + general rudeness

If people are having a problem understanding you its probably because you were doing such a rubbish job of describing your problem. Your persistent attempts to use white font tags (which make the content of your posts invisible to people using the BackTrack 1 forum theme) also did not help - you didnt get the hint not to do this after Archangel-Amael removed these from your first post?

Learn to behave yourself and play nice with others or go elsewhere.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    you did not understand me boy and i know how to shut the [*censored*] server down ok but u obviously
    you did not understand
    next time understand then replay
    ...did he just call archangel 'boy' ?? geez, more drama than a prison yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    THE ISSUE WAS THAT
    I WAS CUSTOMIZING MY BACKTRACK ISO AND WANTED TO INSTALL NVIDIA DRIVER ON IT
    WHICH I GRAB FROM NVIDIA AND WHEN I WAS TRYING TO INSTALL IT ON THE ISO IT WAS SAYING THAT THE X IS ON AND I WAS TRYING TO SHUTDOWN THE X WITH (ALT+CTRL+BACKSPACE) BUT IT WAS SHUTING MY X SERVER DOWN NOT THE ONE I WAS CUSTOMIZING BUT THE COMMAND
    Code:
    pkill X
    WORKED AND SOLVED IT
    thank you very much the but you did not understand the issue but you solved it
    THANK YOU

Code:
    pkill X
    worked
    YOU ARE WELCOME!!11! I'M GLAD THAT I SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM SO WELL THAT YOU HAVE TO SCREAM AND ACT LIKE AN ASS!!!!

Last edited by macphail; 09-08-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

I couldn't help because I was to distracted by your YELLING, and all your "replay"ing....er umm "reply"ing.

I'm still confused as to what a"NETX UNDERSTAND" is? <shrug>

Edit: I went a googled, what does understanding "Netx, a high-quality implementation of the Java Network Launching Protocol (JNLP)" have to do with any of this???
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

...did he just call archangel 'boy' ?? geez, more drama than a prison yard.
    Yes. In large part that was what earned him the infraction I handed out. All of the moderators here have copped worse abuse than this before of course, but just because this didnt reach the standard of rudeness that forum pests of the past have managed to attain doesn't mean Im going to ignore it. Bottom line is don't condescend or be rude to people here, especially moderators, who spend a lot of our free time keeping things running at this forum and don't need to also put up with people getting up in our face over stuff like this.

After all, good manners cost nothing

YOU ARE WELCOME!!11! I'M GLAD THAT I SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM SO WELL THAT YOU HAVE TO SCREAM AND ACT LIKE AN ASS!!!![/IMG]
    Yep. If people don't understand you the first time, don't try and include more details or clarify your previous position, just say the same thing you said before, only louder. Always works. It works even better if you try and insult the intelligence of the people trying to assist you in the process.
    Last edited by lupin; 09-09-2010 at 03:02 AM.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast