Thread: take driver from Ubuntu insert into BT4..??

Just burned his ISO

Default take driver from Ubuntu insert into BT4..??

Could someone please tell me how to take a driver I use on one of my laptops (ubuntu 10.4) and insert it into BT4? The driver I mention is for hso0 orange 3G (UK) dongle?

am I right in thinking insmod..??? is the command to use and I think that because BT is now based on Ubuntu that this will work perfectly??

please ignore my noobishness
    I just want to use BT4 more when I am out at friends houses for example (they bet I can't crack their passes!)

I have been using Linux for 5 years or more and love the terminal!!

so any help is appreciated..

B.

Default Re: take driver from Ubuntu insert into BT4..??

Quote Originally Posted by billo2310 View Post
    Could someone please tell me how to take a driver I use on one of my laptops (ubuntu 10.4) and insert it into BT4? The driver I mention is for hso0 orange 3G (UK) dongle?

am I right in thinking insmod..??? is the command to use and I think that because BT is now based on Ubuntu that this will work perfectly??
    How do you know that particular driver is not already installed on BackTrack? What steps did you take to diagnose the issue?

please ignore my noobishness
    [SNIP]
    I have been using Linux for 5 years or more and love the terminal!!
    Those two comments don't really go together. How have you managed to use Linux for five years, all the while loving the terminal, and not moved beyond a noobish state? Im guessing you may be exaggerating your Linux prowess a little in order to avoid being told to read this thread.

I just want to use BT4 more when I am out at friends houses for example (they bet I can't crack their passes!)
    You want to win a bet with a friend by cracking their wireless network. Thats a new one.

I am of course being sarcastic, we hear variations of this story so often it has become a cliche. Id avoid making any further mention of bets with friends here if I were you, some of the moderators here have been known to insta-ban people who make that claim, under the assumption that the person telling the story will actually be cracking wireless in order to steal someone elses Internet access.
    Last edited by lupin; 09-09-2010 at 07:47 AM.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Firstly Thanks for the reply firstly I have to admit that said driver may exist in BT but (and this is the noobish part) I haven't looked to see i would appreciate any help in doing this!

Secondly The two staements and somewhat of a juxtaposition -- using Linux for 5 years and loving the Terminal!
    but let me explain I DO love the terminal as i love to know exactly what the computer is doing behind the GUI and really understand the process!
    I first used sabayon (I forget the version Number but Circa 2005)
    and I was alluding to the fact that I don't mind getting my hands dirty..
    Sorry I do understand that I should of googled or searched the forums and I apologise
    But at the time it was a matter of convenience at the time so slap my hand for being lazy once again I am sorry!

Understood... I will not make such claims on these forums again however true they are

Thanks for your feedback.

B.

Please disregard my posts as I have been reading up in some of my Linux books and I AM definitely going to work it out from here on my own after all its the only way to learn!!

If at first an all that.....

Once again thanks for all your feedback,

B.
    Last edited by lupin; 09-09-2010 at 11:22 PM.
    Always learning....

insmod isn't an Ubuntu command, it's a linux command. together with rmod, modprobe, lsmod, depmod, et. al.
    im scratching the same head as lupin here, im not sure how you could be using cli for 5 years or so without having a basic understanding of the common utilities that are most often packaged with the linux kernel on just about every distro.

however, to answer your question; yes. you would use these tools to add/remove modules (drivers,etc) to the kernel that you are running. each of them have man pages, so you shouldn't have any trouble with insertion. of course, you may want to investigate lsmod first, to make lupin happy.

parting shot: 'man' is fairly common too.
    good luck with that!

@lupin: i don't understand what you mean... someone is trying to steal my internets? that is so wrong. what the hell is the world coming to? i guess i should put a password on them then, huh?
    Last edited by macphail; 09-09-2010 at 02:24 PM.
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by macphail View Post
    insmod isn't an Ubuntu command, it's a linux command. together with rmod, modprobe, lsmod, depmod, et. al.
    I am aware that the above commands are Linux and not distro dependant I meant that the driver should work perfectly as BT is now based on Ubuntu but I realise this is folly as and please correct me if I am wrong (which I'm sure you will) that in general a Linux driver will work regardless of distro?? this was a mistake on my part and I can only think that it is a throwback in my mind to the Windoze part of my computing life where drivers are or at least can be Os specific..?

Sorry for any confusion caused..

I am ALWAYS willing to learn and appreciate all of your expert feedback,

B.
    Always learning....

Quote Originally Posted by macphail View Post
    @lupin: i don't understand what you mean... someone is trying to steal my internets? that is so wrong. what the hell is the world coming to? i guess i should put a password on them then, huh?
    I wouldn't worry too much about what I say, people like to tell me Im paranoid and I worry about things that will probably never happen, so its likely Im just over exaggerating the threat and you'll be just fine leaving your wireless network unencrypted.

I am aware that the above commands are Linux and not distro dependant I meant that the driver should work perfectly as BT is now based on Ubuntu but I realise this is folly as and please correct me if I am wrong (which I'm sure you will) that in general a Linux driver will work regardless of distro?? this was a mistake on my part and I can only think that it is a throwback in my mind to the Windoze part of my computing life where drivers are or at least can be Os specific..?

Sorry for any confusion caused..

I am ALWAYS willing to learn and appreciate all of your expert feedback,

B.
    Linux drivers are loaded as part of the kernel, usually in the form of modules, and as such as usually dependent on a particular version of the kernel. You may have issues you take a module used with a particular kernel version and try to use it on a Linux system with a different kernel version.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Id avoid making any further mention of bets with friends here if I were you, some of the moderators here have been known to insta-ban people who make that claim, under the assumption that the person telling the story will actually be cracking wireless in order to steal someone elses Internet access.
    Yeah like me!
    I have no qualms banning someone.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    Yeah like me!
    I have no qualms banning someone.
    OK message received and understood!!

Thanks,

B.
    Always learning....

I am aware that the above commands are Linux and not distro dependant I meant that the driver should work perfectly as BT is now based on Ubuntu...
    my bad. apology offered.
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail