Hi there!

i have a problem installing backtrack with help of this video tutorial:
Infosec Ramblings

Like some other guy i get this error when trying to get past the point of partitioning and start to install...

This message appears:
Code:
The installer needs to commit changes to partition tables, but cannot do so because partitions on the following mount points could not be unmounted:

/

Please close any applications using these mount points.

Would you like the installer to try to unmount these partitions again?
And like i wrote in a comment on the totorial page i think i know why i get the error while not knowing how to avoid it. My comment from the page:
step5 September 6, 2010 at 10:23 am

Hi, i have this problem, too.

And i guess i know why… the (virtual)harddisk (in my case it is “hda”) shows up in the patitioner with its swap and the installer wants to format it but it is not possible because it is mounted…
there is no chance to tell the installer not to format the internal swap becuase you can’t check or uncheck it…

Scroll down in the “Ready to install” screen. In my case there is this:

The following partitions are going to be formatted:
partition #5 of IDE1 master (hda) as swap <<–this causes the error
LVM VG vg, LV root as ext3
LVG VG vg, LV swap as swap
partition #1 of SCSI3 (0,0,0) (sda) as ext3

If anyone knows how to supress formatting of the hda swap please help ;-(
kthxbye

step5 September 7, 2010 at 1:10 am

Forgot to mention that i use virtualbox with the vmware image of backtrack.
So the partitioner inside the installer shows the “virtual harddisk” besides the usb device and the encrypted partitions. And the partitioner wants to format the internal swap… no way to suppress this.
I hope you can understand what i mean…
I post it here again, because i saw the author of the video answers the comments really late. And i don't want to wait 2 weeks :-) i hope you understand...

So it would be great if anybody could help. thx