Thread: ScreenShots. Backtrack 4???

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default ScreenShots. Backtrack 4???

I partitioned my hard drive and installed the Backtrack4Final iso that i downloaded from this site. However i am confused as to why my gui seems to be different to all other screenshots of BT4 i can find. Also im unable to find the tools mentioned in BT4 tutorials. At first i thought i must have been an illegitimate iso file but im sue thats not possible as i downloaded from this site. MY desktop looks like this, and is GUI automatically from before the logon screen. Any help would great.

Default Re: ScreenShots. Backtrack 4???

What the hell...

Try deleting existing partitions on your hard disk before reinstalling, you may have accidentally left an Ubuntu install on your system.

Also check the md5 hash of your BT4 ISO against the one on the download page to confirm it matches.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

ok so you think i should remove Ubuntu(??) then delete the the partition and try again from the start? I followed the how to instructions on the site for a dual boot installation so the partitioning was all done though that if that make any difference. Also is this the md5 hash i need to check. MD5: af139d2a085978618dc53cabc67b9269? thats all i can see on the downloads page.
    Thanks

update. . .just checked the md5 hash on my downloaded iso file and it is the same as the one on the downloads page. Could it have changed/been corrupted when burning it to the usb drive i used to boot it from?
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 09-07-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Let's stop and think about things for a second here. Is this how your desktop looked before you started trying to install BT? If so then you know that something went wrong in the process, if not then again. Check the md5sum. Use this thread for more info on how to do so.
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...-checking.html
    Also check the forum faq section to get the correct tutorial for what you are trying to do (link below).
    Make sure you go through the faq and look at the entries since there is quite a bit of info that may pertain to your case.
    Then once you get past that try again following one of our guides linked in the faq section. Don't bother with youtube or whatever other site you may find, some of them may not be worth their weight in salt. Read through the entire tutorial before starting and look up anything that you are told to do that you do not understand.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Looks like you're booting into another partition that isn't backtrack. Looks like an old version of Ubuntu Netbook Remix. Try installing again, noting the partition(s) you're overwriting and where you're putting the bootloader (it's in advanced on the screen before you commence the actual install).
    proud user of backtrack-ng and aircrack-linux

Just burned his ISO

Default AW: ScreenShots. Backtrack 4???

maybe a simple grub update could help...

DO THIS ONLY IF KNOW WHAT YOU DO! SYSTEM MAY NOT START AFTER THIS.

in ubuntu open terminal and type:

sudo update-grub

Heh, sweet! Backtrack 4 Netbook Remix edition!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

all sorted thanks guys.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wazzo5 View Post
    all sorted thanks guys.
    Well are you going to tell us what the problem was, and or how to fix it ?
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.