Thread: Questions about forum rules, behaviour

Question Questions about forum rules, behaviour

1. My posts are still moderated and I've been a member far longer than 3 days. Have I been "permanently moderated" for some reason? If so please explain why so I can correct my behaviour.
    2. I have no permission to pm or otherwise contact members outside of posting to public forums, is this normal? I recall sending myself a test pm when my profile was inaccessible(possibly due to special characters in my name) in the early days of my membership.
    3. How do you classify "spam"? I was recently warned about spamming for suggesting a member donate to a project of mine since he volunteered "$" for advice on his problem, which I attempted to provide. I can see how this could be considered objectionable and will respect the forum rules to the best of my ability, but a more specific definition of spam would be appreciated, and vital to my ability to follow such rules
    4. I considered my online wpa cracking project to be related to backtrack because the end goal is for it to be targeted at experienced backtrack users. The web interface is likely temporary. If you would like me to move further discussions elsewhere I will respect this decision.
    A true gentleman, a good hearty guy.

Default Re: Questions about forum rules, behaviour

Normally we would prefer to address these types of issues outside of the main forum, but it may benefit others to see the answers too.

1. No, you have not been permenantly moderated. The usual way for this to happen is via infractions that accrue points, and none have been issued to you so far. You are just running into the same restrictions that all new members face. The moderation period involves both a period of time and a number of posts before it is over, and you seem to have exceeded both. Talk to an admin.
    2. Does not sound normal to me. Try contacting an administrator (purehate, balding_parrot)
    3. As for obscenity, we know it when we see it. Basically anything that looks like its posted by a bot or anything that appears to be advertising outside services - saying something like if I helped you then please contribute to my project would be an example. People here are menat to be volunteering their time, not doing it in return for favours.
    4. I dont have any problem with you posting information about that here, just as long as it doesnt start to look like an ad.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

As for your forum permission settings I have contacted an admin to look into it. It should be cleared up now. If you have further problems PM a moderator or Admin please.
    Now as for 3 and 4 above, since I sent you that warning let me clarify it a bit more as apparently my message to you in regards was not clear enough.
    You freely joined our community, and we asked only in return for your membership that you abide by our rules. One of those is in regards to "spam messages". I consider you posting "If that helped, donate to my wpa project at HandshakeUpload" to be spam. Plain and simple. I mean when you asked for ideas on your project no one who answered asked for a donation in return did they? Nor to we expect payment of any sort in return.
    As for 4. Again as I stated, I approved your post to be shown on the forums, however this was my judgment call, I could have deleted it with a message in regards. Your project is just that, yours. It is not strictly BackTrack Linux. However as I stated, I felt as though your post was within the scope of this forum.
    Whereby this forum contains the expertise (such as that from purehate who runs the de-facto cracker) to help you out.
    Again please review the rules, and if there is anything that you do not understand in regards, feel free to PM a moderator or Administrator about them.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

look, thanks to my contribution to somebody who was doing illegal things (what i didn't realise), i had become moderated again and i am still moderated. But this is ok for me.
    My point is, make sure when posting, that you do not help anybody with illegal activities :-)
    ,, It's the flower of light in the field of darkness that's giving me the strength to carry on.,,
    Eli says:,,No, it's, uh, Johnny Cash, Live at Folsom Prison,,

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
    look, thanks to my contribution to somebody who was doing illegal things (what i didn't realise), i had become moderated again and i am still moderated. But this is ok for me.
    My point is, make sure when posting, that you do not help anybody with illegal activities :-)
    First and foremost your account is not moderated. You did have an infraction against your account for double posting however, this is expired.
    Further none of what you posted really has anything to do with the context of this thread. Thanks for trying though.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.