Thread: help a newb out installing KDE

Default help a newb out installing KDE

alright i just downloaded the new KDE 4.0 RC.1 and have unzipped it now im lost as to how to install it ive searched and googled some sites and i havent really found anything helpful out anyone out there have luck installing this and if so could you explain your steps to help this frustrated newb out

thanks in advance to anyone who can help

or flame away about how backtrack isnt an everyday OS

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

hxxp://docs dot kde.org/development/en/kdebase/faq/install.html

the above should provide all the help you need of course the kde website also has lots of resources and information also be mindful of the prerequisites For KDE 3.4.1, you need the Qt™ library version 3.3 or greater. Please make sure you download the correct Qt™. You will also need the header files, if you want to compile KDE yourself
    you can find it at hxxp://www dot trolltech.com/download. for free

Developer

KDE 4 is a complete pain inthe a$$ to install in slackware 11.0. It involves uprading to the qt4 packages which some of your tools need. If you know nothing or little about linux I wouldnt try it.

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    KDE 4 is a complete pain inthe a$$ to install in slackware 11.0. It involves uprading to the qt4 packages which some of your tools need. If you know nothing or little about linux I wouldnt try it.
    thanks for the confidence booster :-D

ive always liked a challenge so as long as i dont run the chance of frying my HD or anything drastic im not going to be detoured from it gotta learn somewhere and somehow

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by YearZirO View Post
    thanks for the confidence booster :-D

ive always liked a challenge so as long as i dont run the chance of frying my HD or anything drastic im not going to be detoured from it gotta learn somewhere and somehow

Feel free to try it my friend. I'm the same way I love a challenge but let me tell you this: I couldn't get it going properly so if you can, well splendid!

i got it to work but its way to buggy not alot of programs work also it took like 2 hours to do had to re-format several times....

but it was sexy in some ways

You should try enlightenment window manager as well now when we're talking
    about window managers as that's another window manager i like hehe ^^

(and sorry for being offtopic : O)
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

will try it