Thread: Ways of cracking WPA/WPA2

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Ways of cracking WPA/WPA2

Hello,

My question is about different techniques of cracking WPA passwords. Since I know only two ways, i am interested if there are some better ones to practice. At first I tried to crack my AP using John the Ripper method, which after 12 hours of generating still didn't do the trick(ofcourse i have a quite complicated password: 4b7b881063). Secondly, the aircrack method with a dictionary. I used the built-in dictionary(/pentest/passwords/wordlists/darkc0de.lst) and started cracking. Still no success because the password "4b7b881063" obviously doesn't exist in any dictionary. If I am getting the point of dictionaries correct, the cracking process simply tries each word from the dictionary until it finds the correct one. In that case, how can randomly mixed up combinations(like my pw: 4b7b881063) be cracked?

Isn't there such way like reading incoming packages and as a client connects to the AP, you find the correct package and the pw from it? I am a beginner and just made that possibility up so please dont blame me in anything .

If you have something to suggest, perhaps you could also give some information about it(maybe a tutorial, video or something like that)

Thank you!

Default Re: Ways of cracking WPA/WPA2

Quote Originally Posted by Murt2003 View Post
    Hello,

My question is about different techniques of cracking WPA passwords. Since I know only two ways, i am interested if there are some better ones to practice. At first I tried to crack my AP using John the Ripper method, which after 12 hours of generating still didn't do the trick(ofcourse i have a quite complicated password: 4b7b881063). Secondly, the aircrack method with a dictionary. I used the built-in dictionary(/pentest/passwords/wordlists/darkc0de.lst) and started cracking. Still no success because the password "4b7b881063" obviously doesn't exist in any dictionary. If I am getting the point of dictionaries correct, the cracking process simply tries each word from the dictionary until it finds the correct one. In that case, how can randomly mixed up combinations(like my pw: 4b7b881063) be cracked?

Isn't there such way like reading incoming packages and as a client connects to the AP, you find the correct package and the pw from it? I am a beginner and just made that possibility up so please dont blame me in anything .

If you have something to suggest, perhaps you could also give some information about it(maybe a tutorial, video or something like that)

Thank you!
    search "man in the middle"

pyrit/cowpatty

crunch

make sure the wordlist isn't in DOS format

as for videos:

you tube
    proud user of backtrack-ng and aircrack-linux

Well, everybody would advise you to add you password to the dictionary you're using.Then the password would get cracked.
    Apart from that, only brute force attack would help.
    All your luck depends on whether the password is included in dictionary or not.
    ,, It's the flower of light in the field of darkness that's giving me the strength to carry on.,,
    Eli says:,,No, it's, uh, Johnny Cash, Live at Folsom Prison,,

Just burned his ISO

Guess that information is good enough! BTW, are there any free ditionaries out there? I keep finding only the ones which cost money(which probably makes me a crappy google user).

Thank you very much

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

if you want a really nice list of passwords and leaked passwords, like the rockyou list or hotmail lists, try here Passwords - Skull Security
    they are not that great for wpa unless you use them to make a hash table, but they are sweet for logins etc
    Wielder of the spoon of doom
    Summercon, Toorcon, Defcon, Bsides, Derbycon, Shmoocon oh my
    Come hang out with hackers on twitter @gunrunr556

won't tell you whether this is good for WPA cracking or not, have a look. -=Xploitz=- 2 Master Password Collections!! - Remote Exploit Forums

ehm, have done some search for you: faq [Aircrack-ng]
    ,, It's the flower of light in the field of darkness that's giving me the strength to carry on.,,
    Eli says:,,No, it's, uh, Johnny Cash, Live at Folsom Prison,,

Your'e right "4b7b881063" wouldn't be be in any typical wordlist, but if for some reason an attacker knew those were your favourite digits or you always made passwords from those chars he could create a 12 gb wordlist consisting of 1,073,741,824 passwords taking 3 or 4 hours to crack with some mighty fine hardware capable of 100,000 pmks a second. An unlikely scenario but hey, you never know.

Quite some time ago a few people on these forums were working on an attack that spoofed the essid of a wpa access point without security, when a client connected it would pop up a fake security update notice, which was really a meterpreter payload. The attacker would then just steal the registry hives which contain the wpa password(in windows) . I'm not sure if that project ever got to a working version or not but most of the modern OSs will warn a client about switching to an unsecured AP so it loses some effectiveness.

There are other ways such as attacking through the external ip or online services but neither really fit what you are looking for.
    A true gentleman, a good hearty guy.

Just burned his ISO

hi you can just hack too a pc that has the password and use it(for experts)
    bye