Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: free online wpa cracker project idea

Default Re: free online wpa cracker project idea

Alot of years ago (about 12-15) i got involved in trying to work out the latest digital satelite codes, the group that ran it wanted to check the signals against all algrthyums, bit like checking a wpa handshake, how they implemented it was by creating a downloaded program, you ran it on your pc/laptop basically you opened up the program and downloaded a 'batch' for checking, the program then ran in the background (you could also adjust the amount of processor % being used) when it had finished the batch you had two options, one to send the results automatically back and pick up a new batch or just send the results back when you wanted to (at that point in time not everyone was on broadband).
    I know this would need someone to create a program to download and then way of breaking up the wordlist, but it seamed to work well and the plus side is you can decide who and who not to give the program out to.

Another idea for your website, would it not be an idea to give more route/isp details? As an example i know that a sky router (in the uk) comes set as standard with 8 chars A-Z, talktalk is 10 chars 0-9 a-z A-Z al mixed but not next to one another. I know people change the default password but not that many would, and with the extra info it could reduce checking time?
    Only a thought, keep up the good work

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by christ044 View Post
    Another idea for your website, would it not be an idea to give more route/isp details? As an example i know that a sky router (in the uk) comes set as standard with 8 chars A-Z, talktalk is 10 chars 0-9 a-z A-Z al mixed but not next to one another. I know people change the default password but not that many would, and with the extra info it could reduce checking time?
    Only a thought, keep up the good work
    I agree, I have also been working on collecting data from my friends about there default router password so I could say "8 chars A-Z, talktalk is 10 chars 0-9 a-z A-Z al mixed" but it looks like you've already completed that side of research

I think that is a great idea been able to use algorithm to crack WPA but this project isn't of anywhere without a PCAP parser ( subtle hint ). I have started working this project without the PCAP parser but without the engine it just wont work and sadly it will go to waste BUT! I've had another idea, I've seen python PCAP Parsers around and if worse comes to worse I think it will be possible to have another server that just converts PCAP files into say an JSON string so that PHP can parse. Its an ugly solution but I think it would work

Thank-you all again for reading
    GingerP

Off Topic: I got a double post warning and didn't mean to but I think there is a little glitch when using Chrome on Windows XP (I know, Windows XP... Its all I have at work though )

Wow, lots of new ideas here, I'm happy to see some new interest in the project.
    Christ044:
    Yes, individual wordlists for different handshakes were intended from the start, options for default router passwords from different companies, as well as phone numbers for specific area codes and some profiling such as names+numbers or dates. As for your batching idea, its funny you mention that because I've actually been having that exact conversation with SecUpwN in private messaging, conclusions were that letting people run a script similar to the one I use to batch the handshakes would work, but my opinion is that letting less(but more dedicated/trusworthy) people that each focus on a particular set of words is more efficient than letting anyone run the script because then we have to either trust that they did really do the work, or make everyone run the same words/handshakes which is inefficient in its redundancy.
    GingerP:
    Sorry, I did misunderstood your idea's solution for supplying cpu power. I still have concerns about the morality... Many TOS for free hosts will prohibit this sort of use of their servers, and I'm not sure how much performance we can really get out of the average free host, keep in mind that wpa is VERY computationally expensive to process(around 1000 ops per key, depending on architecture/language, probably closer to 1500 in php) free hosting will obviously have limitations on monthly cpu and abnormally high usage will be easy to spot and prompt investigation. I'm not saying its not possible, just worried about how efficient it will really be, if its going to to take longer to find and add free hosts to the "cluster" than it would to earn a few bucks to add horsepower to my personal server, whats the point? But its still a pretty cool idea. A side note on paid servers, Amazon's EC2 servers can process at over 40,000 keys/second and 1,000,000,000 words will cost you just under $15, my sever does over double that and costs $5-10 in electricity.

While I'm on the general topic I'd like to point out a neat paper I recently read : http://dl.packetstormsecurity.net/pa...a_cracking.pdf It's too slow to use in practice but it might get some creative juices flowing.

One more thing is I might offer to join forces with this Sorbo character who created a site similar to mine at http://wpa.darkircop.org/
    I haven't contacted this guy yet but we seem to be thinking alike and I'm a guy that hates redundancy with a passion so, why not?
    Last edited by CKing; 01-13-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typo
    A true gentleman, a good hearty guy.

Quote Originally Posted by CKing View Post
    Wow, lots of new ideas here, I'm happy to see some new interest in the project.
    Christ044:
    Yes, individual wordlists for different handshakes were intended from the start, options for default router passwords from different companies, as well as phone numbers for specific area codes and some profiling such as names+numbers or dates. As for your batching idea, its funny you mention that because I've actually been having that exact conversation with SecUpwN in private messaging, conclusions were that letting people run a script similar to the one I use to batch the handshakes would work, but my opinion is that letting less(but more dedicated/trusworthy) people that each focus on a particular set of words is more efficient than letting anyone run the script because then we have to either trust that they did really do the work, or make everyone run the same words/handshakes which is inefficient in its redundancy.
    Sorry i wasnt trying to tell you what to do, just it seams there is nothing out there that gives you guidance on the sort of standard keys on routers (maybe it just the way i search!)
    I hear what you are saying about giving the batches out and if they are done or not, but if there was a program made to check these that sent the results back as well as collecting the next batch you know they are done or the program wouldnt send them back :-)
    While I'm on the general topic I'd like to point out a neat paper I recently read : http://dl.packetstormsecurity.net/pa...a_cracking.pdf It's too slow to use in practice but it might get some creative juices flowing.
    I have seen this before and was going to say to you about something along similar lines, but then read the link below!

One more thing is I might offer to join forces with this Sorbo character who created a site similar to mine at http://wpa.darkircop.org/
    I haven't contacted this guy yet but we seem to be thinking alike and I'm a guy that hates redundancy with a passion so, why not?
    The bit at the bottom of the page, very interesting, i was going to say about a 'botnet' type of thing but where people knew that they were giving up some of there processor power. Only thing is with the way the chap has done it on this page, for me, is that with it being a script just how flexible is it? ie can you alter the amount of processor you are giving up? Also it could do with a bit more explaining, rather than just being there, and when it says '0 people are donating processor time' that sort of makes you wonder why?

Still that could be the way to go, but then you need someone to be sorting it out and have a main machine running the main process and picking up the extra processing power being offered.

Actually the way his script works from a brief look at it is by downloading a wordlist and package of captures from his site and uploading results if anything is cracked. I don't like the way it works because in the scenario where several people offer their cpu at the same time we encounter my nemesis, redundancy because everyone does the same work. If a server side checkout system was implemented this could be avoided. Particular people dedicated to particular wordlists would also work. As far as limiting cpu usage goes, I could see limiting number of cpu with the -p flag in aircrack (add 2 lines to the script and were done) but more precise tuning like say 20% would require writing a new program because to the best of my knowledge there isn't anything that allows that level of customization out there right now. Thats a project in itself, I doubt we could get something like that off the ground with our existing volunteer power.

Very true, think is was thinking too hard about it, to make a new program would be reinventing the wheel big time! How many Volunteers do you have so far? Just thinking out load, but even cutting up a wordlist or giving people an area to check, you would either need alot of people of the chunks are going to be very large.

Just burned his ISO

What a great idea. This is very similar to my train of thoughts but instead of getting servers to host it lets you use normal computers. Great idea.

I think if we are not joining forces then we should also include there idea in the project as well just to keep that one important step ahead.

A few additions I think we should create is validation. When the server / host submits the pass-phase the master server should check that one key with the PCAP file just to make sure the server hasn't been tampered or people are messing / playing around with incorrect or broken scripts. This way we can give much better results to the user.

This project seems like its got lots of interest and would like to either create a Google code project and invite you all or if there is anyone already heading a project, I would like to join you if that's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by CKing View Post
    GingerP:
    Sorry, I did misunderstood your idea's solution for supplying cpu power. I still have concerns about the morality... Many TOS for free hosts will prohibit this sort of use of their servers, and I'm not sure how much performance we can really get out of the average free host, keep in mind that wpa is VERY computationally expensive to process(around 1000 ops per key, depending on architecture/language, probably closer to 1500 in php) free hosting will obviously have limitations on monthly cpu and abnormally high usage will be easy to spot and prompt investigation. I'm not saying its not possible, just worried about how efficient it will really be, if its going to to take longer to find and add free hosts to the "cluster" than it would to earn a few bucks to add horsepower to my personal server, whats the point? But its still a pretty cool idea. A side note on paid servers, Amazon's EC2 servers can process at over 40,000 keys/second and 1,000,000,000 words will cost you just under $15, my sever does over double that and costs $5-10 in electricity.?
    I know some free hosting providers do not allow much CPU usage and there are properly some legal issues but the possibility is there for anyone who wants to go down that path.

Off-topic: Your server seems a like demon child

Back to the topic: I picked the language PHP because its the most popular side server language so in theory we should get the most hosts, but if anyone can write a parser for PCAP files in (python, java, ruby - these are already done but you might still want to have a little look into anyway's ) but ASP, ColdFusion and PHP is yet to be created. Just as a side thought what a JavaScript? Get the client to do the work And! With the help HTML5 we can use a background worker.

Thank-you for listening
    GingerP

P.S if you are interested in a creating a DEV team please, send me a message.

Cutting up the wordlist would be more like, I process my 500,000,000 or so and other people process whatever they can handle as expansions, rather than even splits. Volunteers include myself, and 2 other people. Those 2 people were both gained in the last week, it seems the project has just recently had more interest.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by christ044 View Post
    Very true, think is was thinking too hard about it, to make a new program would be reinventing the wheel big time! How many Volunteers do you have so far? Just thinking out load, but even cutting up a wordlist or giving people an area to check, you would either need alot of people of the chunks are going to be very large.
    I don't think it will. The easiest way I can think of doing this would be to have the dictionary's to be automatic split up the file by the server. As you can tell lots my ideas are based on cloud.

Its really moving quick

Have fun playing great ideas posted by people on this great forum
    GingerP

Just burned his ISO

Just stumbled upon this thread and I like the idea and project and am willing to help where I can. I programmed a dictionary maker to generate every combination of numbers with 8-10 characters. Also a 7 character set with the first three as known values (used to compute phone numbers as 3 known values are the area code). As well as a dictionary maker that uses all combinations of 0-1 a-z A-Z thats 10 characters with the last 5 as knowns. (Roadrunner isp uses this and the last 5 characters of the password are displayed as the networks name).

All pretty basic but I'm willing to share my limited knowledge and resources.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast