I am currently setting up a lab and building a few testing tools, one of which is a box running KISMET and a few custom scripts.

I haven't had a chance to take a look at the config files in a while, but I know I can assign an adapter to collect only only on channel 1 - for example.

Instead of sweeping through the channels and possibly missing out on packets, I'd like to purchase several USB adapters and dedicate them to each channel, to include those in the 5Ghz range.

I am just not entirely sure how many I will need, primarily because of frequency overlaps between the WiFi Channels in the 2.4 Ghz range. Each channel is burstable up to 20 Mhz if I am not mistaken and wasn't sure if I'd need 11+ adapters to collect on each channels.

What do you guys think?

I imagine with my lab APs transmitting at max capacity/BW this machine would be collecting massive amounts of traffic in which I'd probably have to get an SSD to minimize heat, etc. What are your thoughts? Would one powered USB 2.0 HUB be able to handle this amount of traffic? Even better, would the back plane on the CPU board be able to do this and parse all data out to the .pcap files?

How many adapters will kismet support during one session? Would I have to start each session independently, or can I run one instance of KISMET to collect on all adapters?

Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance all.