Thread: Dual boot only with Iso Image?

Just burned his ISO

Question Dual boot only with Iso Image?

Hello guys im newb here so i'm sorry if this question is stupid..
    and sorry about my poor english.. here we go:

I have a netbook and i haven't CD drive to burn the CD and to boot it.. i would like to know if exist any tutorial to make a dual boot only with Iso image..

Default Re: Dual boot only with Iso Image?

The fact that you are or aren't 'newb' doesn't mean you can't do any research on your own. Next time try a bit harder.
    As I'm already typing I might as well spoonfeed you...

Begin with creating a bootable USB where you can install from, as explained here: USB Live | BackTrack Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution
    Then install to harddisk from the USB, as explained here: Dual Boot | BackTrack Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution
    "The difference between RAID1 and RAID0 is that the zero stands for how many files you're gonna have after a harddisk failure."

Default Re: Dual boot only with Iso Image?

Will your netbook even have enough space to be able to dual boot? My Hp mini only has a 16Gb "drive". Had to hack in a 16Gb usb thumb drive to dual boot it.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

MOD EDIT: Removed worthless self aggrandizing rant.

Quote Originally Posted by voidnecron View Post
    The fact that you are or aren't 'newb' doesn't mean you can't do any research on your own. Next time try a bit harder.
    As I'm already typing I might as well spoonfeed you...[/url]
    Hi there,

Yes - it's very easy to burn a bootable USB iso of the BT software.

You will need Unetbootin - download it in either the Windows or Linux versions (Google it). Follow the instructions to use it and be absolutely certain to do as they tell you (I followed an online guide rather than just click my way through the install process).

If you want BT 4 then you will need at least an 8gb USB stick. Older versions are smaller and can be installed on smaller USBs.

Once you have downloaded the iso to your desktop and burned it to the USB with Unetbootin program it will be a bootable disk. You need to plug it in and then reboot the computer. As soo as the load up screen appears press f1/f8/ whatever gets you into the BIOS and then look for the Boot Options (every BIOS is different). You want to set it so that the USB boot option is further up the list. I set it to position 1 so if the USB is plugged in it boots from the USB, if it isn't plugged in then it just loads my usual operating system.

It's a very simple process but the options you select during the Unetbootin burn are VERY important so don't get it wrong!

Hope this helped.

A la prochaine!

David.

Quote Originally Posted by conconutz View Post
    Hello guys im newb here so i'm sorry if this question is stupid..
    and sorry about my poor english.. here we go:

I have a netbook and i haven't CD drive to burn the CD and to boot it.. i would like to know if exist any tutorial to make a dual boot only with Iso image..
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 09-01-2010 at 08:23 AM.