Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT4 R1 hard drive install - "prepare partitions" window is blank

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default BT4 R1 hard drive install - "prepare partitions" window is blank

Hello everyone,

I am trying to dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with BT4 R1. When I run install.sh, I get to the "Prepare partitions" window, and it is completely blank. Nothing is there at all. I opened up a terminal and ran fdisk -l, but that returned absolutely nothing too.

Would anyone happen to know why my hard drive is not being recognized at all? Here is my hard drive:

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Thanks a ton in advance for your help!

Default Re: BT4 R1 hard drive install - "prepare partitions" window is blank

could be a dead drive or just an invalid partitioning scheme...try this for starters, maybe it'll square you away:
    GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

good luck with that...
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by macphail View Post
    could be a dead drive or just an invalid partitioning scheme...try this for starters, maybe it'll square you away:
    GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

good luck with that...
    Thank you for your suggestion! My hard drive already has a working copy of Windows 7 64 bit, so I believe the hard drive is ok. I am using that right now actually I am also able to free up 100 GB for a BT4 R1 partition using the Windows 7 Disk Management tool, so I don't think the problem has to do with me not being able to partition the hard drive.

I tried the BT4 R1 CD in my laptop, and I was able to see the partitions there and I could have installed it if I wanted to, but I want it on my desktop, which is where I'm having this problem. Do you have any other suggestions? Could it have something to do with where the jumper is on my hard drive, or maybe a BIOS setting? Thanks!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Try (re)moving jumpers and or changing the bios settings and let us know.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    Try (re)moving jumpers and or changing the bios settings and let us know.
    First of all thank you everyone for your replies! I was trying Archanel's ideas first, and here's what happened.

I am using a SATA hard drive, and I noticed I don't have any jumpers. Then I checked my BIOS settings, and it was on IDE. I changed it to AHCI and made sure Windows still worked with that, and it did. Then I booted up my Backtrack 4 R1 live CD and still NO hard drives were found. I ran the install script a couple of times and it crashed after maybe the 4th time. Here is the error message I got:
    Code:
    We're sorry; the installer crashed. Please file a new bug report at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+filebug (do not attach your details to any existing bug) and a developer will attend to the problem as soon as possible. To help the developers understand what went wrong, include the following detail in your bug report, and attach the files /var/log/syslog and /var/log/partman:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/zoommap.py", line 196, in timeout
        self.blink()
      File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/zoommap.py", line 391, in blink
        cr = self.window.cairo_create()
    Error: NULL pointer
    This happened twice. I think I am going to get the latest Ubuntu like someone mentioned and see if it will see my hard drive while I still try some other things to get this to work. I may install Ubuntu too just to see if maybe Backtrack will pick up that partition because it already has Linux on it, just like someone else already mentioned too

If anyone else has any other suggestions, I would be really thankful, and thanks to everyone who has already written back!

Hey everyone,

I know it has been a while, but I thought I should let you all know what I did to get around this problem. After a lot of searching on the internet, I believe that the drivers for my hard drive weren't there.

My solution:

I installed Backtrack4 R1 on a virtual machine using VirtualBox. Then after installing the VirtualBox tools, everything worked well! Everything works perfectly and I am happy =)

If any of you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I would love to help!
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 10-22-2010 at 02:34 PM.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Thanks for responding and letting others know.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by XC3416 View Post
    First of all thank you everyone for your replies! I was trying Archanel's ideas first, and here's what happened.

I am using a SATA hard drive, and I noticed I don't have any jumpers. Then I checked my BIOS settings, and it was on IDE. I changed it to AHCI and made sure Windows still worked with that, and it did. Then I booted up my Backtrack 4 R1 live CD and still NO hard drives were found. I ran the install script a couple of times and it crashed after maybe the 4th time. Here is the error message I got:
    Code:
    We're sorry; the installer crashed. Please file a new bug report at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+filebug (do not attach your details to any existing bug) and a developer will attend to the problem as soon as possible. To help the developers understand what went wrong, include the following detail in your bug report, and attach the files /var/log/syslog and /var/log/partman:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/zoommap.py", line 196, in timeout
        self.blink()
      File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/zoommap.py", line 391, in blink
        cr = self.window.cairo_create()
    Error: NULL pointer
    This happened twice. I think I am going to get the latest Ubuntu like someone mentioned and see if it will see my hard drive while I still try some other things to get this to work. I may install Ubuntu too just to see if maybe Backtrack will pick up that partition because it already has Linux on it, just like someone else already mentioned too

If anyone else has any other suggestions, I would be really thankful, and thanks to everyone who has already written back!

Hey everyone,

I know it has been a while, but I thought I should let you all know what I did to get around this problem. After a lot of searching on the internet, I believe that the drivers for my hard drive weren't there.

My solution:

I installed Backtrack4 R1 on a virtual machine using VirtualBox. Then after installing the VirtualBox tools, everything worked well! Everything works perfectly and I am happy =)

If any of you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I would love to help!
    Hey from lat few days i am facing quite a lot of problems in installing Backtrack 4 R2.
    I am using a live DVD to start the Installation.
    I am currently using Win7 which is the primary partition.
    Now i cannot see any of my partition during the Installation, i tried cfdisk, which somehow shows the available 3 primary partition (one already reserved for the Win7 OS) and 2 Logical Drives.
    Is there any way i can see and mount my partitions to install a fresh copy of BT on a specific Primary Partition.
    All the Partitions are in NTFS format, which were resized with the help of a Partitioning software.
    I Currently wish to install BT in a resized-through-windows 60 GB partition.

Any help from any one would be much appreciated.

...also possible that fdisk wasn't looking at the proper device? long shot here, since you have a functional OS already, but try determining where your hard drive is enumerated and call it specifically with fdisk (# fdisk /dev/sda or what-not). Perhaps you could then create a linux partition out of your unpartitioned space so that BT installer will see it... I don't think this will solve your problem, as the BT installer didn't see ANYTHING... but it's a shot.

also, does the HD appear when you try other live CDs? Ubuntu, SuSE, even the GParted disc I mentioned above... what do they show (if anything)? Perhaps you could use one of them to partition the space so that BT will see it?

I'm actually just shooting in the dark here. I think archangel has the rub of it, to be honest. something's squirrely.

good luck with that.
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

Since it's SATA maybe BT doesn't recognize it (missing drivers for the sata controller or something).
    Have you tried putting the disk in Legacy/IDE mode in the BIOS?
    WARNING: Doing so will most likely screw up you Windows install, or atleast not boot it while in this mode.
    "The difference between RAID1 and RAID0 is that the zero stands for how many files you're gonna have after a harddisk failure."

Quote Originally Posted by voidnecron View Post
    Since it's SATA maybe BT doesn't recognize it (missing drivers for the sata controller or something).
    Have you tried putting the disk in Legacy/IDE mode in the BIOS?
    WARNING: Doing so will most likely screw up you Windows install, or atleast not boot it while in this mode.
    i have same problem before and i change the Bios setting and i installed BT 4 R1 and i change it back again so everything work fine.

SALAM..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast