Maybe I am being lazy but this is fun.

It is nice to learn the commands to extract archives or use the Arck. Those two are nice and one should learn them. But now I want an "Extract archive" command on my mouse menu. I am using BackTrack 4r2. So, this is how I went on doing that.

Note: If you are not in root then use sudo. Some of my information was found http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...?content=58251. I forgot the other site but if I remember I will fix my post.
1. Because this installs to KDE and not KDE3 which is what BT is we will have to modify some files. So first make a directory called servicemenus.
Code:
root@bt~# mkdir /root/.kde3/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus
2. Go into that new directory aka folder.
Code:
root@bt~# cd /root/.kde3/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus
3. Download 58251-extract_archive.tar.gz with wget.
Code:
root@bt~# wget http://www.kde-apps.org/CONTENT/content-files/58251-extract_archive.tar.gz
4. Extract the archive.
Code:
root@bt~# tar xvf 58251-extract_archive.tar.gz
5. Clean up by removeing the .tar.gz file or you can skip this.
Code:
root@bt~# rm -rf 58251-extract_archive.tar.gz
6. Edit the extract_archive.desktop with your favorit txt editor I will use gedit.
Code:
root@bt~# gedit /root/.kde3/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/extract_archive.desktop
Once it opesn scroll down to where you see this.
Code:
[Desktop Action extract_archive_to]
Name=Extract to ...
Name[fr]=Extraire dans ...
Name[nl]=In subdirectory uitpakken ...
Exec=~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/extract_archive.sh "%n" "%u" "%d"
Icon=ark

[Desktop Action extract_archive_here]
Name=Extract here
Name[fr]=Extraire ici
Exec=~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/extract_archive.sh "%n" "%u" "%d" -here
Icon=ark
Where it says Exec=~/.kde/.... add the number 3 so it looks like this Exec=~/.kde3/.... Do that for both [Desktop Action extract_archive_to] and [Desktop Action extract_archive_here]

Now use the right click menu on a compressed archive and you should be able to extract any archive.

You can make the /.kde/ directory and the other ones but the kde3 directory is already there, and that was the less work to deal with.

So what do you guys think?