Thread: cannot boot with USB

Just burned his ISO

Default cannot boot with USB

I downloaded to my 2G usb."http://www.backtrack-linux.org/tutorials/usb-live-install/" but after I install I try to boot up the computer from the usb and it will not . I must be missing a step? I apologise as I am not very bright. I figure if I can at least get to the programming I can play around with it and read about it for a long time and learn before I start asking a bunch of questions.

thanks,

l

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

Default Re: cannot boot with USB

ok did you make the usb stick bootable by navigating into it and executing the \boot\bootinst.bat?
    is your computers bios set to have the usb drive above the hard drive in the boot sequence?

trellis

Here: USB Live

Wink Re: cannot boot with USB

Ok if thats not working then try this.
    Get the latest ver of backtrack iso and then use unetbootin application from sourceforge.net and use it to mount the image to the USB. then go to the Bios and set the first boot device to your USB.

Then it should work.

Just burned his ISO

once you power your computer press esc or f8, f9, f10 ,f11, f12 or canc

it depends from computer to computer, however:

from ther will you reach the bootup prioryties. put the usb as first and reboot the computer.

problems?
    if you dont have any usb section on your list it means it is not possible to boot from usb

solutions?

just boot from cd

or install VirtualBox on your computer

for any more questions, just ask

capon

Just burned his ISO

thanks I did not expect anyone to bother answering me so soon if at all. It all looks so simple when I read it but I think you have to know a little bit about what you are doing first? Anyway I will try the things you all have so kindly suggested.

leanne

Just burned his ISO

thanks to all who have replied. I tried all that you have suggested especially trellis but I just do not know what i am doing. I cannot even get the right download with the two relevant files. so I think I might just buy one. My question is what would be best to buy? A USB or a a CD and what size? Since I am so inexperienced I also thought it might be worth my while to buy something from amazon that provides some instruction as to how to use the programming.

I think i could so it but i would need a blow by blow and I have exhausted my search for something like this on the internet. For someone who is completely unfamiliar with programming.

I used to be really good at picking things up and I especially liked math calculus chemistry physics anything analytical. In recent years I have been very ill and it has had a tremendous impact on my cognition, so much so I had it tested at a neuropsychiatrist. Not good and I just never expect I will not be able to do things like i used to. It really does not look that difficult but that being said it seems doubtful I will be able to figure out how to use the programming by trial and error and looking things up on the net,

So if anyone is familiar with a good source for either the programing or it and explanation as to how to use it that is not very expensive I would appreciate it. I am too much of a "noob" to bother the likes of you buys who have been very nice and patient with me.

Thank you for that.

leanne

Go with a blank dvd to burn the iso as CD i think don't have enough space for BT4.
    then just use the boot with CD at BIOS and boot your backtrack.

hope it helps

Just burned his ISO

thanks,

I tried that months ago and now I do not have the DC but I will buy some and try it. I don't know why i was not able to download bt3 and the other file though? Maybe just a fluke.

l