Thread: Help with password list/ cowpatty

Just burned his ISO

Default Help with password list/ cowpatty

hey guys/gals im new to backtrack and ive done allot of reading about hacking wpa2 keys, the only thing i cant get my head around is making your own password list, i cant download the 33gig file cos im only on a usb dongle at the moment, i would be very greatfull if anyone can help me, i just dont get this hash stuff and so on, i know that the wireless connection is a d-link router and ive got the bssid and the essid, i got a handshake from it but it did not say 4 way handshake, ive been up for 2 days trying to read everything i can and now my eyeballs are rolling lol does anyone know where i can get a full tut on how to make your own hash/rainbow table i need a step by step guide lol, i normally only have windows xp installed untill the other day when i installed backtrack 4 so im still getting used to the o/s aswell its a very cool o/s but i got a lot of learning to do ive allways wanted to learn how to hack, im going of subject now so ill leave it at that, please help thanks ppl

Default Re: Help with password list/ cowpatty

If you want to learn how to create your own table Google for "create wpa rainbow table" and read some of the links. I just tried it then, you can find references to the appropriate tools within the first 10 search results and from there you can do further searches to find out how to use said tools.

You may also want to configure additional storage for your BT install - whether you download or create your own tables they will take up a lot of space.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    If you want to learn how to create your own table Google for "create wpa rainbow table" and read some of the links. I just tried it then, you can find references to the appropriate tools within the first 10 search results and from there you can do further searches to find out how to use said tools.

You may also want to configure additional storage for your BT install - whether you download or create your own tables they will take up a lot of space.
    thanks for the info :-) also do you know when i use aircrack-ng it says there 1 handshake is this right or is that supposed to be 4 handshakes?

ok i found Winrtgen to create the tables what hash do i use for wpa2? the bssid for the one i want to crack is 00:21:91:55:f0:e6 essid is lightowler, and also when i have made the rainbow table where do i put it? thanks
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 08-27-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Developer

winrtgen is not for wpa tables, its for making hash look up tables for ntlm or lm or something along those lines.

If you want to generate a random word list you should look at the tool "crunch" in backtrack.

If you want to create wpa tables look at "genpmk"

and finally if you want to mangle or otherwise permutate a word list look at the --rules function of john the ripper

creating those tables are not hard at all buddy. Like Lupin already stated, the first few google hits would get you on the right track. Using cowpatty's table generator tool, genpmk, it only needs 3 options to produce the appropriate rainbow table. Optionally, you can read my blog post on this topic here.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by aerokid240 View Post
    creating those tables are not hard at all buddy. Like Lupin already stated, the first few google hits would get you on the right track. Using cowpatty's table generator tool, genpmk, it only needs 3 options to produce the appropriate rainbow table. Optionally, you can read my blog post on this topic here.
    ok its taken me nearly 3 days to do these tables lol its very long process, ok so now ive made them how do i use the ones ive made? and another thing if the client is not connected to the wireless i.e not picking another mac up if i connect to it with say my phone put any password it even tho its the wrong one and get a handshake that will it still work or will it try pick the password up that i put into my phone? thanks