Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BackTrack 4 R1, Windows 7 - Expert Problem

Just burned their ISO

Exclamation BackTrack 4 R1, Windows 7 - Expert Problem

Hello, there!
    Okay... I've got this problem, which I will define as 'quite complicated', therefore I'm a bit desperate, and asking this forum. I'll start with the beginning. ...
    I thought I should install BackTrack 4 R1 on my laptop (Acer Aspire 8942G). I wanted to have both Windows 7 (which I had), and BT4R1, so I decided to go for the "dual system", two Operation Systems on the same hard drive. I downloaded BT4R1, and used Unetbootin to make it possible to boot up from an USB drive. So I changed the boot order, and booted up. I got the BT4R1 screen, whitch I assume ment 'success'. I typed in "startx", and got into the desktop. Then I clicked the "install" script, and the installation began. I chose country and language etc, but when I came to partition, it went wrong. I chose manual, and made a new partition on 8GB. I chose the new partition, and finished. Then I was told to restart and unplug the USB drive. I did, and restarted. Then I started, but only got the error:
    Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v12.2.2
    Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Broadcom Corporation
    Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
    All rights reserved.

Broadcom Base Code PXE-2.1 v1.1.1
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.
    Operating System not found.

I panicked a little bit, and thought I might could reinstall Windows 7, as I've got it on a CD. I was wrong... I manage to boot up from the CD, and get the installation screen, but when I'm about to choose a partition, I'm stuck. My C:\ drive don't have enough space left for a new copy of W7. I have approximately 16GB left at the drive, after deleting the partition witch was made for BT4R1. I don't have the option to go into the drive and delete some files, so the only option available on the installation is to format, which is NOT an option in my case.

Any suggestions on fixing the problem so I can enter my Windows and delete files, or whatever sounds like the best solving of the problem?
    I'm sorry this sounds so complicated, but I guess it is. I'm new to BT, and new to Linux.

Also, I DO got acess to the BT4R1 screen when I connect the USB drive, but as I'm new to the whole thing, I don't know what to do in BT. I get into BT after the error above comes, and a BIOS-like window pops up:
    UNetbootin
    Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (1024x768)
    Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (800x600)
    Start BackTrack Forensics (no swap)
    Start BackTrack in Safe Graphical Mode
    Start Persistent Live CD
    Start BackTrack in Text Mode
    Start BackTrack Graphical Mode from RAM
    Memory Test
    Boot the First Hard Disk

I've tried 'Default', 'Start BT FB (1024x768)', and 'Boot the First Hard Disk'. All of them led to the BT screen where i typed in 'startx'.

So, again, someone got any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I would REALLY appreciate your help!

(I think it's possible to open up my laptop and take out the Hard Disk and use it in another computer, but the other computers in the house doesn't support SATA...)

Thanks in advice!

-Pwnahz

Just burned their ISO

Default BackTrack 4 R1, Windows 7 - Expert Problem

Hello, there!
    Okay... I've got this problem, which I will define as 'quite complicated', therefore I'm a bit desperate, and asking this forum. I'll start with the beginning. ...
    I thought I should install BackTrack 4 R1 on my laptop (Acer Aspire 8942G). I wanted to have both Windows 7 (which I had), and BT4R1, so I decided to go for the "dual system", two Operation Systems on the same hard drive. I downloaded BT4R1, and used Unetbootin to make it possible to boot up from an USB drive. So I changed the boot order, and booted up. I got the BT4R1 screen, whitch I assume ment 'success'. I typed in "startx", and got into the desktop. Then I clicked the "install" script, and the installation began. I chose country and language etc, but when I came to partition, it went wrong. I chose manual, and made a new partition on 8GB. I chose the new partition, and finished. Then I was told to restart and unplug the USB drive. I did, and restarted. Then I started, but only got the error:
    All rights reserved.

I panicked a little bit, and thought I might could reinstall Windows 7, as I've got it on a CD. I was wrong... I manage to boot up from the CD, and get the installation screen, but when I'm about to choose a partition, I'm stuck. My C:\ drive don't have enough space left for a new copy of W7. I have approximately 16GB left at the drive, after deleting the partition witch was made for BT4R1. I don't have the option to go into the drive and delete some files, so the only option available on the installation is to format, which is NOT an option in my case.

Any suggestions on fixing the problem so I can enter my Windows and delete files, or whatever sounds like the best solving of the problem?
    I'm sorry this sounds so complicated, but I guess it is. I'm new to BT, and new to Linux.

Also, I DO got acess to the BT4R1 screen when I connect the USB drive, but as I'm new to the whole thing, I don't know what to do in BT. I get into BT after the error above comes, and a BIOS-like window pops up:
    UNetbootin
    Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (1024x768)
    Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (800x600)
    Start BackTrack Forensics (no swap)
    Start BackTrack in Safe Graphical Mode
    Start Persistent Live CD
    Start BackTrack in Text Mode
    Start BackTrack Graphical Mode from RAM
    Memory Test
    Boot the First Hard Disk

I've tried 'Default', 'Start BT FB (1024x768)', and 'Boot the First Hard Disk'. All of them led to the BT screen where i typed in 'startx'.

So, again, someone got any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I would REALLY appreciate your help!

(I think it's possible to open up my laptop and take out the Hard Disk and use it in another computer, but the other computers in the house doesn't support SATA...)

Thanks in advice!

-Pwnahz

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: BackTrack 4 R1, Windows 7 - Expert Problem

Well I didn't read all of this, but it looks like you did not tell the installer where to install the boot loader for BT.
    Might want to look into that. Then again I might be wrong.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    Well I didn't read all of this, but it looks like you did not tell the installer where to install the boot loader for BT.
    I think you're right. Pwnahz can you clarify your objectives here please (number form would be easier)? Sounds like you have a functioning "live" R1 USB but nothing else. Because you're new to Linux makes it 20x harder for you and us. If you can explain what you want to achieve it might be easier to fix the problems with your pretty Backtrack Ferrari fronted into your Windows trailer.
    Backtrack has the best Mods -period.

Just burned his ISO CrazyBranch's Avatar

You can boot Your Live USB and mount Windows partition - to see how it's done google the "mount" command. If that goes ok, you should be able to clean up your drive.

Allthough, i dont think this to be best solution, so try this:

Boot Win7 instalation and go to repair. Get there to command line and type "bootrec.exe". That should provide you with some options, and /FixMBR should work i belive. For mor info visit:How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

All rights reserved.

your system is attempting a PXE (or, "pixie") boot, that is to say that it is looking for a network-based startup prior to looking at your local system for instructions. i can't comment on whether or not your install initially went as expected, however the first thing that you want to do is go back into your BIOS and reset your boot order to place local drive(s) at the top of the list and lower the priority (or disable altogether) any PXE options.

good luck with that!
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

Just burned his ISO

Pwnahz, I suggest using Windows Startup Repair to get you back into 7 (plenty of guides to get this done...), then use Google to learn a bit more about the installation process, particularly 'Partitioning' before attempting another install.

Preparation will be your key to success.

Just burned his ISO

1. Get the Windows 7 dvd and boot it up.

2. When you get to the second screen (after you choose your language) go to repair your computer.

3. Go to command prompt and type this in without the quotes (") :
    "bootrec /fixmbr" and press enter.

4. Type this in without the quotes (") :
    "bootrec /FixBoot" and press enter.

5. Restart.

Boom!!! It works!!!

Cheers pal!!!

Just burned their ISO

Quote Originally Posted by tomski View Post
    1. Get the Windows 7 dvd and boot it up.

2. When you get to the second screen (after you choose your language) go to repair your computer.

3. Go to command prompt and type this in without the quotes (") :
    "bootrec /fixmbr" and press enter.

4. Type this in without the quotes (") :
    "bootrec /FixBoot" and press enter.

5. Restart.

Boom!!! It works!!!

Cheers pal!!!
    Thanks for the reply!
    Hmm... I tried this... I booted up using the W7 CD, and chose "Repair" etc. I wrote "bootrec /FixMbr". I got "The operation completed successfully." back. That was good. When I wrote "bootrec /FixBoot" I got "Element not found." That doesn't seem good... Also (don't know if this has anything to do woth it, though... :P), the Command Prompt says the following when I start it:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

X:\Sources> (this is where I type)

As I said, don't know if this is relevant, but I just remembered, isn't "X" the same as "C:\" on BackTrack?

Well... At this point, I don't know what to do, so I just keep hoping for possible solutions.

maybe you can check if your win7 partition is have boot flag active with gparted, and set it.
    after this redo w7dvd repair etc etc

if it is not active see here
    http://superuser.com/questions/78578...tion-as-active
    Last edited by Nemis; 08-27-2010 at 07:17 AM.
    acer 5920g , 345abg , nvidia 8600m
    bt5 kde 64bit + acpi + cuda 4.0 / nvidia 270.40 / pyrit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast