Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Backtrack 4 r1 problem - freeze at "installing partition"

Default Re: Installing Backtrack 4 r1 problem - freeze at "installing partition"

Quote Originally Posted by maxdd View Post
    Hi, i have currently the same problem on Acer travelmate 803lci..i need to know if the trick really works because i cant switch AHCI to IDE from the bios since i havent that option...

Should i have to delete all and try to install bt4 first and then wxp???
    You'll only have that option if your laptop's drive is sata.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Default Re: Installing Backtrack 4 r1 problem - freeze at "installing partition"

BT4 requires sata disk?

Quote Originally Posted by Infection2 View Post
    Thanks for the reply skull!

It still didn't work for me, it still hangs at the same exact part that I mentioned previously.

These are the following steps I took:

1. Went to the BIOS and changed the HDD type from IDE to AHCI.

2. Saved configuration and exit.

3. Booted Backtrack 4 r1 from disc.

5. Double clicked on install.sh.

6. Clicked "forward" until before the partition page.

7. "Busy" mouse cursor appeared indefinitely - ie: window freezes up after the keyboard selection screen.

I honestly am running out of ideas what to do with my laptop to make this work. Do you guys have any more ideas I could try? =/

Also just wondering, after I changed my BIOS type to IDE, should I then reboot and login into Windows?

I switched from AHCI to IDE, booted up BT4 but still encountered the same exact error upon installation (hanged at the partitioning part).

I then ran memtest86 and everything is fine.

I booted up BT4 again and ran gparted, and as I had suspected, it was "freezing" up too when it's trying to load all devices. ie: it just sat there and run without any progress.

At this point I'm honestly at a loss as to what to do. Any other ideas guys?
    Try don't use DVD disc use Flash memory to install BT 4 R1.

SALAM....

Quote Originally Posted by maxdd View Post
    BT4 requires sata disk?

No.

Honestly I don't know what to tell you. I'd like to tell you that if you don't know what AHCI is, and want to know if BT4 needs a sata drive, that you really don't need to be trying to install backtrack in the first place. Though the normal reply to that kind of statement usually falls along the lines of "well how else am I supposed to learn" or "you guys think you're special because you have a bazillion posts" or some other bullshit.

I really think you should download a copy of the latest and greatest Ubuntu, and work you way up to BackTrack.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Infection2 View Post
    Thanks for the reply skull!
    You are welcome ....

I had that problem before and i make bios change and 2GB USB.

Try 2GB USB don't use disc.

Best regards,

Just burned his ISO

I faced the same problem cant tell you how much time i wasted.Using compaq pressario 6000 a class old pc.But finally i solved it.MY hdd is ntfs without partition.i use easeus partition manager to create new partition without formatting hdd a 16 gb partition(make it first fat32 if not work than format that partition and convert it as ext3).Extract on 4gb usb using unetbootin the iso image of backtrack 4 r2 and boot it.(if your motherboard not supporting usb boot like mine make it using plop boot manager).run install.sh and choose use largest continuous unused disk partition and bingo finally it works on my pc after wasting so many hours and 2-3 dvd i burn.Hope it will help anyone who face install.sh freezing problem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12