Thread: Installing Backtrack 4 r1 problem - freeze at "installing partition"

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Installing Backtrack 4 r1 problem - freeze at "installing partition"

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to install Backtrack 4 onto my HDD by dual boot using this tutorial, and I'm running into some weird troubles. I'm using Windows 7 currently and would like to have the option of dual booting into BT4 r1.

So after rebooting my PC and launched BT4, I double clicked on install.sh, selected timezone, and keyboard layout (step 3 in the aforementioned tutorial), and right after that, a message "installing partitons" appeared but then that window simple freeze there and then. It didn't go into Step 4. I waited for 15 minutes and nothing seemed to happen, which shouldn't be the case as far as I can tell.

What can I do to troubleshoot this problem? I'd really appreciate the help! I've also searched extensively and couldn't find anything that could resolve my problem.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Installing Backtrack 4 r1 problem - freeze at "installing partition"

Some of those steps from the script have been removed and this has been covered.
    Just continue following the guide.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Installing Backtrack 4 r1 problem - freeze at "installing partition"

I can't continue with the steps because it freezes up (continuously displaying the busy mouse cursor for an extended period of time) after selecting my keyboard layout, where it's supposed to start to configure my partitioning layout. =/

Actually I've tried before with BT4 pre-release, and the same thing happens. I thought it would be different with BT4 r1 but the same problem occurs for me too, so I'm not too sure what is wrong exactly.

Should I partition first using Partition Magic on Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Infection2 View Post
    "installing partitons" appeared but then that window simple freeze there and then. It didn't go into Step 4. I waited for 15 minutes and nothing seemed to happen,
    Change HDD type from BIOS (AHCI).

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by skull2006 View Post
    Change HDD type from BIOS (AHCI).
    Just wondering - and sorry if this is out of the scope allowed in this forum - would switching to AHCI while already having a Windows 7 installation cause some damage to the Win7 installation (ie: cause Win7 unable to start etc)? I was reading something about it via google and I'm wondering if any of you guys have any experience about it.

Just wondering - and sorry if this is out of the scope allowed in this forum - would switching to AHCI while already having a Windows 7 installation cause some damage to the Win7 installation (ie: cause Win7 unable to start etc)? I was reading something about it via google and I'm wondering if any of you guys have any experience about it.
    Nothing will be happen if you change the AHCI to Compatible mode.
    and just change it and install BT4 then make it back.

SALAM,

Just burned his ISO

Hi there,

I just checked my BIOS (took me a while to locate where the HDD type is), and my HDD type is indeed AHCI and not IDE - which means I don't need to change it.

Yet this installation problem still exists, it freezes when I'm about to go to the installing partition stage. =/

Hi there,

I just checked my BIOS (took me a while to locate where the HDD type is), and my HDD type is indeed AHCI and not IDE - which means I don't need to change it.

Yet this installation problem still exists, it freezes when I'm about to go to the installing partition stage. =/
    No, you have to change it to IDE and when the installation finsh change it back.

SALAM,