Thread: Alfa AWUS036H

Just burned his ISO

Default Alfa AWUS036H

Hi! I have a AWUS036 usb adapter and I use it with live cd of backtrack 4 r1 in vmware 7, under Debian lenny amd64 kernel. But i have a strange problem.

When I connect the Alfa it appears in the kernel log the following (all the time)

rtl8187: wireless switch is on
    rtl8187: wireless radio switch turned off
    rtl8187: wireless switch is on
    rtl8187: wireless radio switch turned off

And i can't scann, neither connect to any wireless. I have to disconnect the adapter and reconnect it and start the wicd-gtk to have a connection. But the problem when i made this is that fails again, with the same problem (wireless radio switch off) In 2 or 3 hours the connection fails and in the kernel's log appear the same advice.

Also, when i run the live cd from a usb. I mean not in the vmware station, the connection is also unstable, it can be connected during 3 hours and after that the dhcp fails and loses the connection.

Anyone have the same problem?

It is a problem of the rtl8187 drivers?

I need a patch for my kernel?

Thanks a lot

Just burned his ISO

Default Respuesta: Alfa AWUS036H

Hi again friends. I was watching in very forums about the unstability of the rtl8187 drivers for the internet connection. This is a common problem.

So, I have just seen in the Realtek's webpage a new release (2010/10/6) of the drivers for the rtl8187l devices. So I tried and found that airbase-ng didnt works neither the injection in aireplay-ng. But, the internet navigation is very stable. The new drivers employ the ieee80211 stacks and not the mac80211.

A finally point: in debian lenny (with backported amd64 kernel) after the installation of the newest drivers, when network manager tries to acquire the ip all the system freezes and I have to power off the computer. Anyone knows if someone is developing a patch or something like that?