Thread: Triple Boot help

Just burned his ISO

Default Triple Boot help

Hello All,

I heard of backtrack from a friend, and after looking through the boot disk, i was very much impressed. I currently dual boot windows XP (sadly) and Mint.

My HDD (320 GB) is currently set up like this:
    ~100 Xp
    ~100 Mint
    ~115 Storage
    ~5 Swap space.

Obviously i need to make room for backtrack, but I'm not sure how much? 15 Gb? Or could i use less, or do i need more?

Secondly, when i finish install, am i going to need to fix grub in order for it to run correctly? Or can i install and get right to business?

Thanks for any help

Default Re: Triple Boot help

I have BT4R1 running just fine on a Dell Netbook with a 16GB SDD. Just keep in mind that you have space limitations.

You are going to have to resize your partitions to make room for backtrack. See gparted on the LiveDVD.

Grub is fixed in the same way that it was fixed when you installed Mint on top of your XP installation.

Just burned his ISO

10GB should be plenty for the casual user. If you plan on downloading large rainbow tables and such your are going to need a much larger space obviously. But if I'm not mistaken doesn't Mint default to Ext3 file system? I wouldn't think there would be any problem mounting that drive for extra storage if you needed it.

I had Vista, BT4, and Ubuntu on triple boot not long ago ... and, yes when I installed the 3rd OS I had to repair the grub configuration. There are several tuts on the net how to repair/config grub so it should be easy 'nuff if your unfamilar with it.

More importantly, I would take the newest BT4 release for a test drive with the LiveCD to see how things go with your hardware. Specifically any wireless devices you may have and how they interact with BT4. Just my 2 cents.

Just burned his ISO

But if I'm not mistaken doesn't Mint default to Ext3 file system? I wouldn't think there would be any problem mounting that drive for extra storage if you needed it.
    Actually Mint defaults to Ext4 now, so I don't know how that would do with Backtrack, but he could always use the space from the ntfs partition under Linux, I think.