Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: someone using my wirless without permission

Just burned his ISO

Default someone using my wirless without permission

I have the bt home hub and use wep - I am now aware of the precautions I need to take to stop this happening again but it look like someone has been using my wireless without me knowing. I think this because in the admin pannel the dowloads are much more than I do. Is there any way I can find out some details about this person ?

nckspec

Quote Originally Posted by contra View Post
    I have the bt home hub and use wep - I am now aware of the precautions I need to take to stop this happening again but it look like someone has been using my wireless without me knowing. I think this because in the admin pannel the dowloads are much more than I do. Is there any way I can find out some details about this person ?
    This is what you should do. Wep is the easiest kind of password to crack. You should get a better password because there is so many ways to crack wep.

Just burned his ISO

yep Im aware of that but thats going forwards I am interested in seeing what I can descover going back and looking at whats happenmed

Quote Originally Posted by contra View Post
    yep Im aware of that but thats going forwards I am interested in seeing what I can descover going back and looking at whats happenmed
    Without some type of logging ids you'll probably not find any answers you want.

nckspec

What happend was the hacker decrypted the wep packets using most likely linux.

Just burned his ISO

Default thank you

nckspec-

BRILLIANT! Thank you for the enlightening post.

Hahahaha, yeah, great one!

Now,

Is there a log in your router? Check that out

Use this chance to experiment with some tools. You can knowingly leave the AP how it was so the neighbour can come in again and then see what you can discover. Use Wireshark to monitor all the traffic in the network, and maybe also Kismet (or airodump writing only ivs as an easier solution) to have a real time and easy to read activity snapshot. Leave it running in the background and continue your normal life. At the end of the day you could go through the registered traffic to find his MAC address, whatever is not yours, and then filter-out the rest of the traffic to see what has his activity been about. You could also be lucky and be in front of your keyboard when he comes in. Find his IP address and scan his ports to see what's open. Option -O in nmap (or Umit for a graphical user interface) is quite nice also. Try to get to his shared folders. And, at last, you can practise Man-In-The-Middle attacks, tracing his internet activity in silence with ettercap!

All in all, I see the perfect chance for you to join the game. It's like politics, I know he knows that I know... but he thinks I think that I know that he thinks... Use the chance!! Have fun!!

If it was me and someone was on my network without asking me.while he was on, i would use ettercap to get his passwords then i would use aireplay to inject his a$$, then when he's trying to connect i would sign in to all of his accounts give all his friends (if any) $hit then delete his contacts and change his passwords. But im just being nice, there worse things other people would do im sure.

I know a couple of people who run an open ap just for the purpose described by madmanu. It can be an interesting experiment in an apartment complex.

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1761

The above article might give you a couple of ideas. Beware of geeks bearing gifts.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for helping out here guys.

I have had a look round and done some digging after reading what you have said.

I am interested in the use of ettercap to have a look at what he is doing and will leave my network as it is at the moment (although I have changed the default password on the admin pannel!). I have downloaded ettercap and wondered if anyone could advise me a very basic tutorial that I could start with. I will have a look on their forums too but I like to know the basis of what I am talking about before asking questions.

I know about Nmap and Umit and what you use them for but I think that it might be a little too advanced for me at this stage.

One question though, it was mentioned to use aireplay to run an injection but I thought that this "attack" was used as one of the steps to steal a wireless key not as one to prevent unauthorised access.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast