Thread: Good places to start?

Just burned his ISO

Cool Good places to start?

Hi all, new here!

I messed with the first BT and seeded the second one for a time after installing it on my laptop, but... I hardly know how to use it! I've studied what I can on the aircrack suite without a wireless card, which sounds very interesting. But, just knowing how to do the wireless attacks seems rather dull. I'd like to branch out a bit and see what else I can do with the distro on my own network, but the menus on BT are overwhelming. What should a newbie focus on, and what resources can I use to self-direct my learning?

Thank you much!

Just burned his ISO

What kind of things interest you with linux? I mean figure out something that interest you and learn about it, Google is your best friend, if hacking/cracking wireless networks or exploits arent your thing then maybe trying another distro would be benefitial to you, For instance I wanted to know how to setup a ftp server, so I read some articles online, took an old 500 mghz box, that just has 64 megs of memory and started figuring out which linux to put on it and how to set it up. I ended up with ubuntu server without a gui, It runs great, since then i have read online tutorials and have setup the box to be a dns server, print server, IDS server, ssh server etc. Trying different distro's and trial and error coupled with online tutorials such as those at howto forge makes Linux very interesting to me. I once wanted to know what the rave was about with Gentoo linux, so I spent a week compiling it over and over again and found out how awesome it is, if your compationate about linux then you will spend time with linux and you will learn something new every day in linux. Use google. But if your lazy and dont want to read manuals and dont want to figure out things yourself then your friendship with linux might be brief...

You mention wanting to do other things on your network with linux, have you checkout ipcop? or devil linux? both are linux distro's that are firewalls...

go check out distrowatch (dot) com

Just burned his ISO

Perhaps I should have been a little more specific. I'm not new to Linux. I have a Gentoo desktop and laptop, as well as a Debian file-server. What I am new to is the whole security scene. I don't know what, specifically, interests me within that realm, so I'm trying to get my hands dirty, as it were, with beginner-level things in each of the main areas of infosec.

I haven't yet built a mental picture of how the different things fit together quite yet. So, probably a good place to start would be an explanation of the different classes of tools and how each fits into the cracker's toolkit and how it fits into an attack, as well as a good tool to research on my own for each of those classes. Once I get an idea of the big picture, I can start filling in details. But to hear Google tell it, everything is a how-to on a specific topic, and rarely is the big-picture addressed.