Thread: Airmon-ng does not give me an interface

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Airmon-ng does not give me an interface

Hi everyone, my name is JohnDoe99958 but you can all call me Peter and i am having a problem with Backtrack 4.
    I have installed the "SMCWUSBT 108Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter" driver for my wireless pen and i can't get a interface, i even typed "Airmon-ng" and "airmon-ng start wlan0" but it is not working when obviously it should work because i have installed.
    I am running the Backtrack 4 iso on virtualbox but nothing seems to work, i even tried bridged adapter "SMCWUSBT 108Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter" internal network and host-only adapter and nothing...

Computer Specs:

RAM: 1GB

Disk Capacity: 500GB

Graphic card: Ati Radeon Xpress 1250

Thank you

Default Re: Airmon-ng does not give me an interface

Hey Peter, what exactly do you consider an interface? If you mean a GUI (graphical user interface, point and click with the mouse) you are right, because there isn't any. the aircrack suite is text only.

Could you post the output of the commands, as well as the output from "iwconfig -a"?
    I have a feeling this thread will be moved to the beginners forum soon, so if you can't find your post, that's where it went.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe99958 View Post
    ...but it is not working when obviously it should work because i have installed.
    You installed it in windows, so it will work in windows, not in BT.

I am running the Backtrack 4 iso on virtualbox but nothing seems to work, i even tried bridged adapter "SMCWUSBT 108Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter" internal network and host-only adapter and nothing...
    You are confusing things. The adapter shouldn't be in bridged nor host-only mode. You're supposed to connect it directly with the virtual machine. Read some more about virtualization software.

Just burned his ISO

When i type airmon on Backtrack, it doesn't give a interface, the wireless pen driver

wait, you can install it under XP? how do i do that?

Regards, Peter

wait, you can install it under XP? how do i do that?
    No, I never said that. What you're trying to do is way over your head, obviously. I suggest you to read a lot more, since you are not understanding how to accomplish what you're trying to do.

Just burned his ISO

Snayler said: You installed it in windows, so it will work in windows, not in BT.

Reply to this "I suggest you to read a lot more, since you are not understanding how to accomplish what you're trying to do." instead of telling me that i should read maybe you should be telling me how do i do it right unless you don't know how to do it...

** It is better to fix a problem then to not help **

Visto que es de Portugal, eu tomei a liberdade de te traduzir isto para entenderes bem em letras gordas:

Resposta "eu sugiro que você leia muito mais, desde que você não está entendendo como realizar o que você está tentando fazer." em vez de dizer-me que eu deveria ler, talvez você deve estar me dizendo como posso fazê-lo direito a não ser que você não sabe como fazê-lo ...

** É melhor para corrigir um problema, então para não ajudar **

Regards, Peter

Thank you

Snayler said: You installed it in windows, so it will work in windows, not in BT.

Reply to this "I suggest you to read a lot more, since you are not understanding how to accomplish what you're trying to do." instead of telling me that i should read maybe you should be telling me how do i do it right unless you don't know how to do it...

Dear JohnDoe99958,

If I know the answer, I will not spoonfed it to you. When I see a hungry men on the street, I will not buy him fish, I will buy him a fishing rod. That way, instead of killing it's hunger for one day, I'll make sure he never gets hungry again. Got it?

BTW, I don't appreciate people talking portuguese to me on the english forums. That's why they made the portuguese forums, to avoid people talking portuguese on the english forums. Now, drop the attitude, it doesn't suit you well.

Let me clarify my answer:

I have installed the "SMCWUSBT 108Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter" driver for my wireless pen (...) but it is not working when obviously it should work because i have installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snayler View Post
    You installed it in windows, so it will work in windows, not in BT.
    You said you installed the drivers, but you don't need to install anything under BackTrack, the driver will automatically load when you connect your card to the virtual machine. So I assumed you were saying that you installed the drivers in Windows. That's why I said what I said.

Now, regarding your problem, if you can't find the answer on google, read the help topics on virtualbox, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for in there. (hint: see the underlined text above?)
    Last edited by Snayler; 08-26-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Just burned their ISO

Visto que es de Portugal, eu tomei a liberdade de te traduzir isto para entenderes bem em letras gordas:

Resposta "eu sugiro que você leia muito mais, desde que você não está entendendo como realizar o que você está tentando fazer." em vez de dizer-me que eu deveria ler, talvez você deve estar me dizendo como posso fazê-lo direito a não ser que você não sabe como fazê-lo ...

** É melhor para corrigir um problema, então para não ajudar **

Regards, Peter

Thank you
    my best advice, buy an alfa network usb modem and the fun can begin, I consider myself a beginner, and I did not like answers of my starting threads but everything is on the forum, just need time and a lot of reading, I found a lot of answers by reading

When exactly did this forum went from 'beginners in backtrack' to 'advanced hunting advices' ?
    Ontopic: Have you tried 'iwconfig' on the BT box? It lists all the interfaces with wireless extentions.
    Because maybe, just maybe, your interface isn't wlan0 but eth1 or something.
    "The difference between RAID1 and RAID0 is that the zero stands for how many files you're gonna have after a harddisk failure."