Thread: connecting backtrack to wan side wireless router and forward traffic

Just burned his ISO

Default connecting backtrack to wan side wireless router and forward traffic

Hi,

Can someone help me set up backtrack for forwarding packets to my gateway?
    I now connect my laptop, with backtrack installed, via my wireless card to my modem/router.
    I have a spare wireless router, that i want to connect to my laptop nic.
    Backtrack should forward the packets that my spare router receives, to my modem/router via my wireless nic.
    How should i configure backtrack so that it can receive traffic from my spare wireless router?
    Backtrack should give the spare router a wan ip etc.

djazzz

unless I have missed something in your post, then

echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

should enable ip forwarding. Obviously you need to set up appropriate gateways and routing.

Just burned his ISO

Ok, that part is clear, but how should i configure the spare wireless router,
    what wan ip etc , should it get? ANd what ip do i have to give to eth0 that is connected to that router?

Quote Originally Posted by djazzz View Post
    Ok, that part is clear, but how should i configure the spare wireless router,
    what wan ip etc , should it get? ANd what ip do i have to give to eth0 that is connected to that router?
    your WAN IP (assuming you are connecting to the internet) is normally issued by your ISP.

your eth0 IP address should reflect an available IP address on your private network. If you are using your BT2 machine as a router between 2 private networks, then the network ranges need to be in different subnets.

There are many network forums out there that would probably be of more help than the Backtrack forum.