Thread: BTfinal fixes and whatnot.....

Just burned his ISO

Default BTfinal fixes and whatnot.....

I'm still running the Nov beta version of BT2 and have encountered some 'bugs' as follwed:

-airodump will run great and then cut out on me after a short while without any notice or change in config, etc....why, I dunno. I've read around the forum and have noticed at least one other complaint as such but no solution was given.

--airodump shuts down when I run aireplay sometimes.

-airodump doesn't use passed channels but reflects as such while it is plainly scanning various other channels.....weird behavior.

-airodump cuts in and out every now and then, same type of symptom as first complaint but goes from working to not to working again???

-ascociated stations show only one MAC yet list many different ESSID's with coma's in between each. (this may be normal but I've never seen it happen under the windows version I have run for months now, maybe just a linux thing/newer version thing?)

--I run HD installed BT2 - have partitioned some swap but it doesn't seem to get used ever, only RAM? Do I need to 'initialize' the swap before it will get used or something?

--While running Mozilla browser and checking hotmail I caused a serious crash in which the system froze up and the screen went garbled such as one might expect when passing the wrong screen res or something like that, no solution other than a re-boot, which may be causing other 'side-effects'/

--caught a signal14 (gigalrm)- whatever that is?

--get KDE crashes every now and then, usually browser related...

///What if any of these issues have been resolved under the BTfinal release?

>>HERE IS MY STUPID NUUB Q- do I need to patch my driver to inject packets under either version? (DWL-G520) I have read various posts all over this forum but unfortunatley the subject has been done so much to death that there are conflicting solutions/answers and now am just confused. No need to bump the post, heckle or otherwise -just a plain Y or N is answer enough- preferably from someone who really knows what they are talkin bout.

Thanks in advance for any tips and info-regards jd

For swap:

- Create the partition and flag it as Linux Swap. Let's say you make it at hda3.
    - Prepare it: mkswap -c /dev/hda3
    - Activate it: swapon /dev/hda3

- Now:
    - If you do a fresh Backtrack HD install it will find and use swap.
    - Else edit /etc/fstab and add the line: /dev/hdb2 swap swap default 0 0.

For wireless:

- Stations with several essids usually mean an evil hacker is hanging around. Beware as they might be armed.
    - Try killing the wireless device and creating it again. It works with my atheros based card.
    Code:
    wlanconfig ath0 destroy
    wlanconfig ath0 create wladev wifi0 wlanmode mon
    - There are also problems in channel hopping when two devices are being used for the same card at the same time. If ath0 is a station, connected to a single channel and ath1 is monitoring multichannel, most likely the card will get confused and get blocked.. somehow (out of my comprehension).

That's all the help I can give. Anyway I think it would be interesting and useful if you gave an idea of what your machine is made of, as there might be known bugs (p.e: KDE crash) that a more knowledgeable member can point out.

Good luck!

Just burned his ISO

Default response to reply.....

Thannks for the response!!! Still a bit confused tho-here, I'll provide some additional infos about the machine......Dell OptiplexGX110 superold crapper w. Pent3 @800mHz, two HD's 1 with winXP and other with BT2 installed. I used partition Magic to prepare HD's and gave 500MB of swap sitting in front of the ext2 which is only about 6GB or so. Wifi is the Dlink DWL-G520 atheros chipset.

I have never had to do anything with swap space in any of the many other linux distros I have tried out of this particular machine so am unfamiliar with the process, so thanks fo rthe tips on getting it working, but when I did the HD install of BT2 it didn't use the swap, just RAM. So I guess I'll have to try editing the fstab and see if that werks else go the longer route? I am in the process of trying to upgrade to the BT final but as posted in another thread I have no blank CD's and no CDR's with enough capacity. Trying to figure another method to install the new BT but thats another post I guess.....

as far as the aircrack-ng/dump is concerned I find it very unlikely that the multiple listings of ESSID's are hackers or anything malicious at all-Only because there are so many ESSID names, each different and listed under more than one ascociated MAC....it just seems unlikely that there would be that many 'crackers' all doing the same thing at the same time (which is always it seems..) I'll try to explain the issue better: in airodump under the acsociated stations listings there is the AP's MAC listing, then the ascociated MAC listing and then the MAC's ESSIDname--but the ESSID for the ascociated MAC shows multiple ESSID names each seperated with a comma....no other ascociated MAC's are shown just the names seperated with commas!! I don't know why but have not seen it happen under windows ever (but is older version of aircrack-ng so...)

Anyways, that is about the best way I can explain it without taking a screenshot, which I could do if warrented.

Thanks again for the info- I'll try the swap methods out and re-post the results afterwards......regards, jd.

I'm not sure what will happen next time you boot after having created and activated the swap space. Try it out to see if Backtrack does use it automatically and let me know the outcome.

About airodump, please do take a screenshot to get a better idea.

Hello together,

i have the same issues with the swap file. until today, i even didn't use one.
    Here is what i made:

freed 1 Gig disk space, created a swap partition with qtparted

looked in /etc/fstab:
    /dev/sda4 swap swap auto, defaults 0 0

prepared it with "mkswap /dev/sda4"

switched it on with "swapon -a" (since "swapon /dev/sda4" gave me "Device or resource busy"

in leetmode, swap is shown, but it is never in use, and swapon -s gives me:

Filename type Size Used Priority
    /dev/sda4 partition 1044216 0 -1

So, where did i go wrong? Any help would be appreciated...
    The answer is 42.

ok, ok, i got it...

just remembered what "swapping" means
    shame on me, i study 3 years IT and then...
    The answer is 42.