Thread: Hi everyone!

Just burned his ISO

Default Hi everyone!

New Uesr here and i have been reading lots of post and replies in this great forum so i decided to give this all backtrack thing a go my self.
    I have a Sony VAIO Pentium 3 Laptop laying around and dont use it a lot so im gonna try to set this laptop with backtrack and winxp pro dual boot.
    I also have in it a Lynksys Wireless-G With speed booster model number WPC54GS inserted in the slot on the side of the laptop.
    Now my question would be...is this a good setup and is anyone else using this wireless adapter?
    I was fulling around the other thay with the live cd of back track in the drive and was following some tuts that i found here.When i open kismet i get some results but then when i try to associate with any one of those AP thats where i cant do it.
    Any help is appreciated and by the way im trying this on my own access point and on my brothers access point,he lives next door and i have his permission to do it.
    Thanks again and its great to be here by the way.
    Cheers!

Just burned his ISO

I am not sure but I think kismet might be putting your card into passive mode.

I could be way off base. However I do know that for a standard connection, you must be in active mode.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Temetka View Post
    I am not sure but I think kismet might be putting your card into passive mode.

I could be way off base. However I do know that for a standard connection, you must be in active mode.
    Thanks for the quick reply,can you possibly tell me how to remedy this then.How caan i make my card go in to active mode cause as you can probably tell im a %100 newb when it comes to linux.
    Thanks again!

When you exit kismet, look at the output. You will probably see a message telling you to reset your card.

If you are using a pcmcia card, eject and reinsert it. You may need to "pccardctl insert", from a prompt, after you reload it. This seems to be dependent on your hardware. I need to, you might not. This will reset it.

If you are using an onboard, built in card, unload the module and reload it.

You should then be able to configure your card normally.

Just burned his ISO

Ok thanks for the tip.I'll try that as soon as i get a chance.
    Cheers!