Thread: Help with Client MAC / Handshake (WPA2-TKIP Cracking)

Just burned his ISO

Smile Help with Client MAC / Handshake (WPA2-TKIP Cracking)

I recently downloaded BT4, and I must say it's awesome. I've managed to crack a few WEP keys fairly easily. So yesterday I decided to figure out how to crack WPA2, so I generated a rainbow table for the specific network, started monitoring the network, picked up plenty of data packets from the network however I'm not seeing any clients. That didn't make much sense to me, but I can't de-authenticate the client without a MAC and I can't get a handshake. So what should I try? What could explain the hidden client?

Default Re: Help with Client MAC / Handshake (WPA2-TKIP Cracking)

Sounds great, so you found the keys for some WEPs around you?

Where did you find the WPA2? Usually there is no hidden client.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Have your 'victim' laptop turned off, start BT, start capturing like you normally would, start 'victim' laptop, connect to the network.
    If you still don't see the client, you're doing something really wrong.
    And if you're not the victim laptop, or the owner of the AP, you're pretty much doing illegal stuff that you won't get any help with on this forum.
    "The difference between RAID1 and RAID0 is that the zero stands for how many files you're gonna have after a harddisk failure."

Is this your own network? If not, then you should probably ask permission before you go about cracking other folk's networks.

If this is not the case, then check out the documentation on the aircrack suite. It can point you in the right direction.

Update aircrack suite....even though the default version that comes with BT4 works out the box for me as well as others im quite sure. Maybe driver issues with wireless card? Try removing and installing the kernel module drivers for the wireless device and you can also try different drivers and check for updated ones. Start with this basic stuff and see wut happens.

Just burned his ISO

Smile Re: Help with Client MAC / Handshake (WPA2-TKIP Cracking)

I got it! I just didn't realize the client would have to connect, or I suppose disconnect before I can collect the MAC and handshake. These are my neighbors wireless networks however they are my friends and know what I'm doing. But man WPA2, brute force is tough! (after 2.6 mil. Pw attempts) He is Indian so I'm beginning to think his password is as well. I don't know of any Indian password lists, haha. Thanks for the help all, not sure what to do now.

Im glad that you solved your issue but the issue that you had lets us know that you haven't spent enough time learning about WPA2 and the process of performing such an attack against it. Something as basic as what you have found would have been explained in any WPA/WPA2 cracking tutorial that im aware of. I'm not pulling your leg or anything but in my experience here, i can tell you that the backtrack community will not do your home work for you and its always assumed that you've done your part in researching the relevant information.

Good Luck.