Thread: Wifi card into monitor mode

Just burned his ISO

Default Wifi card into monitor mode

Im not sure if this is a common thing or not, so I thought i would share.

I have a Dlink DWL-G630 wireless card that works fine and is reconized in backtrack 2.0, but it doesnt work in monitor mode right away.

So i tried doing "airmon-ng start ath0" and got an error saying that it cannot set my card into monitor mode. I forget the exact reason why it failed, but it said something about ath0 being a child of wifi0.

when i do "iwconfig wifi0" it comes up as not being a wireless device so i was confused so i decided to try "airmon-ng start wifi0" and got a weird result. neither wifi0 or ath0 were set up and put in monitor mode, but a new wireless device was created name ath1 that was in monitor mode. ath1 interfaced with my Dlink card but now had monitoring abilities.

Maybe that will help some people if they had similar issue of monitor mode not working off the start.

arcus

my wireless card jsut works fine but i still wondering why there is ath1 (which is functioning well) and ath0 (that said no interface) ? then, is it when we put our card to monitor mode..internet cant be access as i cant access the internet when i put my card to monitor mode...

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by hyperlitemofo View Post
    Im not sure if this is a common thing or not, so I thought i would share.

when i do "iwconfig wifi0" it comes up as not being a wireless device so i was confused so i decided to try "airmon-ng start wifi0" and got a weird result. neither wifi0 or ath0 were set up and put in monitor mode, but a new wireless device was created name ath1 that was in monitor mode. ath1 interfaced with my Dlink card but now had monitoring abilities.
    This is normal, Madwifi drivers use iwlanconfig to create & destroy VAP's (virtual APs). These are what you use for monitoring and injection.

1. See the Madwifi documention/features list (google madwifi)

2. Search these forums for virtual ap, you'll come upon a long thread discussing your very question.

I'd post links directly but current forum rules prevent other site urls for the first 15 posts.
    Moderators: Rule is to general and prevents posting links pointing to articles contained in this forum.

-sc0tch

Speaking of monitor mode...is there a command to use to reconfig the card so that it will work for the internet without having to restart the computer. I use kismet but when i close it out, i cant use the internet nor can i get kismet to start back up. I have to shut the whole system down.

Just burned his ISO

@ghost8786:I think the command is
    iwconfig <interface> mode managed

Also I seem to remember that it goes into managed mode if you open the Wireless Manager but don't quote me on that

is there a command to use to reconfig the card so that it will work for the internet without having to restart the computer
    modprobe -r ath_pci # removes the madwifi driver

modprobe ath_pci # loads the driver

You can then configure the card normally.

I use this:

modprobe ath_pci ath_hal
    wlanconfig ath0 destroy
    wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode monitor
    iwconfig ath0