Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap ALFA alternative

Default Re: Cheap ALFA alternative

Great! Is the shielding in direct contact with the chipset? If so, that should also help keep the temperatures down (larger surface = faster heat dissipation)
    Student Systems Administration and Network Engineering, second year.
    Don't PM me with questions, unless very specific. Otherwise, use the forums so everyone can potentially benefit from it.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by matt1711 View Post
    think you mean AWUS050NH not *****51NH?
    Yeah it was alfa AWUS051NH , here
    ALFA Network – WLAN, WiFi phone, ADSL, KVM, Bluetooth, PoE Products -- AWUS051NH

Quote Originally Posted by Citruspers View Post
    Great! Is the shielding in direct contact with the chipset? If so, that should also help keep the temperatures down (larger surface = faster heat dissipation)
    It's soldered on there pretty well (probably more than necessary!), so I'm not sure I want to try to take it off and see. I can tell you though, that even when working at full power for a while the adapter only gets slightly warm. I have heard that the blue board version gets hot at full power, so maybe it is an improvement? I'm very happy with this adapter either way.

If I can get (slightly) off topic for a moment, did you see that someone has put up pics on DX of the board in the dual-antenna 2000mw? It would appear that both antennas really are used.

Yes, my blue board adapter got quite hot. I did mount a heatsink on it (with some thermal paste), and a seperate USB powered fan (yes, it looked hilarious), but that did not make a difference as far as performance goes.

Great news about the 2000mw adapter, will update my post
    Don't PM me with questions, unless very specific. Otherwise, use the forums so everyone can potentially benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5cardcharlie View Post
    If I can get (slightly) off topic for a moment, did you see that someone has put up pics on DX of the board in the dual-antenna 2000mw? It would appear that both antennas really are used.
    Wow, that's some ugly soldering!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Hey any update regarding this alfa knockoff??I'm still not sure I should buy alfa awus036h or this knockoff.

Breaking news: it appears the adapter does not work on saturdays, and starts to smell like rice when in use for over 35.5 minutes!

No seriously, what do want from us? We already described the adapter in detail, just buy the darn thing.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you for the great alternative !

I would like just to confirm something:

If I buy the knockoff, will I get a 50/50% chances that I will get the green board or DX has COMPLETELY switched to the green board.Meaning, If I buy right now, will I automatically get the green board or is it a 50/50 chances that I get or the blue one or the green one?

Thanks again!

@Ghext We can't really tell you. Charlie ordered the card a while after me, and since the green board is an improved design I guess they stopped producing the blue board version. We both bought it from the same site (dealextreme). Anyhow, it's not that the green version is superior/inferior to the blue board adapter (not in real-life situations).

@Caramel:

Those are different adapters, can't tell you.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast