Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT4 on IRIX

Just burned his ISO

Red face BT4 on IRIX

Anyone know right off hand if BT can be compiled to run in IRIX 6.5.X? Figure the pentesting tools could use the open architecture of the MIPS system to streamline ops.

Default Re: BT4 on IRIX

You can try to compile tools under IRIX but you won't be able to run BT under IRIX. You might run it on a SGI though but I doubt that it will work right out of the box.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

I think IRIX uses a totally different architecture, which would mean a LOT of work/compiling to make it all work. right now the backtrack team is already covering 2 architectures (x86 for desktops, and ARM for the N900).

Just burned his ISO

Cool

Hmm....so it sounds as though this development pathway is wide opened to some enterprising JA like me with nothing better to do than make our fav. PT tool run like the wind on some obscure platform! Lemme officially announce the active dev status of BT for IRIX. Anyone wants anything I have in the way of progress, be sure to let me know--in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    You can try to compile tools under IRIX but you won't be able to run BT under IRIX. You might run it on a SGI though but I doubt that it will work right out of the box.
    I was under the impression IRIX is the only thing which has FULL compatibility with the SGI hardware...

Perhaps the ARM code might be a better place to start?
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 08-06-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OneHit View Post
    Hmm....so it sounds as though this development pathway is wide opened to some enterprising JA like me with nothing better to do than make our fav. PT tool run like the wind on some obscure platform! Lemme officially announce the active dev status of BT for IRIX. Anyone wants anything I have in the way of progress, be sure to let me know--in 2015.

I was under the impression IRIX is the only thing which has FULL compatibility with the SGI hardware...

Perhaps the ARM code might be a better place to start?
    Open BSD will run on most of their hardware, but like most BSD, it's a bitch to get running. You'll likely run into issues with things like wireless drivers. Did SGI even make laptops? I've got an old (I guess it's all old really) O2 in my closet. The company I work for used to make graphics cards for them. They're pretty cool little machines, but pretty under powered for todays standards.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Nah I don't think that there are SGI laptops around. I can remember carrying around the Octanes here. Man those were damn heavy.

Just imagine how their laptops would have been
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Talking Re: BT4 on IRIX

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Open BSD will run on most of their hardware, but like most BSD, it's a bitch to get running.
    Hardly surprising, as IRIX is basically UNIX with BSD Extn's

You'll likely run into issues with things like wireless drivers.
    Oh yeah. Picture MadWIFi running in IRIS? LoL.

Did SGI even make laptops?
    Nope. Why would they? They were in the HPC graphics market exclusively at the time, and can you picture the boys at ILM lounging on a beach rendering Jurassic Park on a lappy, when there was no WiFi to connect it to the renderfarms? Ha!

I've got an old (I guess it's all old really) O2 in my closet.
    I have an O2 with the VR5000, and an Octane on the way. If your O2 is not an R5000, would you consider donating it to an un-worthy cause? I'll pay shipping....

The company I work for used to make graphics cards for them. They're pretty cool little machines, but pretty under powered for todays standards.
    Not so sure about the "under-powered" thing. The really cool thing about MIPS is the open architecture which virtually eliminates the x86 requirement that EVERYTHING go by way of main memory and the CPU. As I'm sure you know, this system allows applications to have DIRECT access to HW FC's, so the requirement for scads of RAM and blazing hot CPU cores is neatly sidestepped. In fact, I would not be one bit surprised if research informed me that the nVidia CUDA architecture did not owe some debt of gratitude to SGI.
    In terms of HPC's, sure the R5000 can't touch most of today's x86-based HPC solutions.
    But in terms of a desktop system, my old 1998 O2 with 64MB of RAM and 2GB SCSI HD lays waste to my P4 with a GT 240 CUDA card. When it comes to rendering, there is just no contest. The bus bottleneck is just not there with the SGI.
    Anyway, any rants are welcome, but please try to keep kudos of any kind to a minimum, as they will make me fat and lazy.

Just burned his ISO

Post Re: BT4 on IRIX

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Nah I don't think that there are SGI laptops around. I can remember carrying around the Octanes here. Man those were damn heavy.

Just imagine how their laptops would have been
    Holly crap, can you believe it? I was wrong again (see earlier post)
    Check out this O2 laptop!
    O2 Laptop

And here is an INDY laptop as well!
    Indy Laptop specs

Just burned his ISO

Just as an aside, here is a bit of lore for you. I swear 2 G that this is not 'shopped.
    I'd like SOME explanation, but you know, who can explain EVIL.
    What are the odds someone would find this, given the fact that it came out of a machine which, in it's day, you needed $12,000 in cash just to breath on?
    Fail. Busted. LoL.
    Photo of a Chip
    Last edited by OneHit; 08-07-2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Damn pic didn't show....

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by OneHit View Post
    Just as an aside, here is a bit of lore for you. I swear 2 G that this is not 'shopped.
    I'd like SOME explanation, but you know, who can explain EVIL.
    What are the odds someone would find this, given the fact that it came out of a machine which, in it's day, you needed $12,000 in cash just to breath on?
    Fail. Busted. LoL.
    At 29 lbs, I don't consider it a laptop.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast