Thread: Daily Communter or Can I use BackTrack 4 as my daily OS?

Just burned his ISO

Default Daily Communter or Can I use BackTrack 4 as my daily OS?

Hi All,

I have installed BackTrack as dual boot. I used XP and have upgraded to Win7 dual boot with Pre-Final and now with Final. The last few months, I have used BT as my Daily OS. I cruise the web, get my email, listen to music, etc. I remember reading in the old-Forum where is this not suggested. I cannot find that link.

I wonder why using BT as my daily OS is not suggested or is it dangerous? I have installed IPtables. When I need to use BT, I stop IPtables service. When I need BT tools, I have it ready and available. I used 'macchanger' for the MAC address. I keep all 'updates', and 'upgrades'. What am I missing?

thanks,

Default Re: Daily Communter or Can I use BackTrack 4 as my daily OS?

Well I would say BT also evolved. Since the transition has been made from Slax to Ubuntu as a base system I'd say BT is more suited as your day to day OS than before.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Well you can do now since its now Ubuntu base
    Use search option before you ask a Question
    Beginners see F.A.Q for general question

Sammy. This question has been debated many times, there are different opinions.
    Backtrack is a pentesting distribution, indeed it has evolved now and can be run as a main OS but that entirely depends on what you are doing.

-If you have it installed on your HDD and run it's tools once a month or something like that than it's really no good. However if you pentest a lot, want to learn and other stuff than yes you could do this.

-Another thing as BT is made for pentesting a lot of day to day applications may cause problems in it, or won't work and I don't think that a lot of people here will support you if that happens.

-If you choose to run BT as a main OS I would advice you to create an unprivileged user, even though most tools run as root. This is for security reasons, if you want to read more about it lupin made a nice tutorial on how to create an unprivileged user in BT and also a few reasons why you would do that: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...backtrack.html

-Another point in making this choice is your Linux skill. As you probably know BT is an advanced linux distribution and I'm not sure you will get very much help on basic linux questions. If you know linux than I don't think you will need any help.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Of course you can use it as a main OS but your experience would definitly be different than say a windows or ubuntu desktop OS. Its like having a HD DVD player and buying non-HDDVD formated movies to play on your 42 Inch HDTV. It can be used as for such but you wont necessarily be getting the experience that such a system (Desktop OS or HD DVD player) is intended for (especially out the box. You can always tweak BT4 to make it more Desktop friendly for your own purposes).

Just burned his ISO

Thanks to you All,

All of you made many valid points. I did have to make some changes to become Desktop friendly. I did NOT create a non-root user. I strayed away from the actual use.

I do use the functions of BT several times a day so I wanted something that was quick and readily available. I did not want to carry multiple machines. I have a MacPro running BT under Parallels. This works except for the wireless function.

I have decided to re-install BT and use it only as intended. I will dual-boot with Win7 and use Win7 as my daily commuter.

I will try BT under VMWare.

I guess I was trying to use a screw driver as a lever, can opener, spatula, and self-defense weapon. Tools are best used for what it was designed.

Thanks,

Personally I use Ubuntu, then compile in the applications I need on a fairly regular basis. When I need that one app that only gets used every now and then, I boot backtrack. Though like most of the regulars, I have multiple machines, and one is purely a backtrack machine, but I don't carry it with me all the time. Backtrack is also handy for playing with applications I might want on my regular machine, but don't want to take the time to compile. If I really like the app, I'll make time to put it on my daily driver, otherwise it stays in backtrack.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Depends what you want to do. If you're looking for a daily desktop OS, you're probably more suited to Ubuntu, openSUSE, Mint, etc. They are built for desktop use in mind.

If you're using the Backtrack tools everyday, well then Backtrack is the answer.

Personally, I usually run Backtrack in a VM or off a live dvd.
    proud user of backtrack-ng and aircrack-linux