Thread: Basic Linux/backtrack questions

Just burned his ISO

Question Basic Linux/backtrack questions

OK. I am using a dell inspiron 640m. It has an SD card slot that I would like to be able to use to save some configuration settings as well as driver info. My problem (do to my inexperiance with LINUX) is that I can not tell if the BT can see the SD card reader. I have tried running various commands (lspci, fdisk -l) as well as running startx and trying to look in device manager (or equivalent). The truth is, I have no idea what I am looking for. When I insert a USB key it gets detected right away and a window pops showing the contents. When I remove and insert the SD card nothing happens. I assume this is because there are no drivers for the SD reader. Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed from here? I need to eventually get my wireless card working (Dell wireless 1500 Draft 802.11n WLAN mini-card) but I need to be able to save the info. Dual boot is not an option since this is my work laptop. Any help would be appreciated.

Krubb

Just burned his ISO

In the konsole, try the command "cd /mnt/" and see what's listed there (ls), hda* are harddrives but it could be listed as sda_removable or something along those lines.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for responding!

I followed you suggestion and came up with the following:

floppy/
    hdc_cdrom/
    live/
    sda1/
    sda2/
    sda3/
    sda4/
    sdb1_removable/ **This I assume is my USB pen drive**

I am not sure why I have so many sda*/ fields. This particular laptop has a single SATA HDD (120GB). The HDD does have 2 partitions (dell and the C. Also, this does not have a floppy drive. I hope this helps.

Perhaps someone could tell me; is it possible to browse to a device and view the contents like I would in Windows through Explorer? Or is there a My Computer equivilant?

Krubb

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by krubb View Post

I am not sure why I have so many sda*/ fields. This particular laptop has a single SATA HDD (120GB). The HDD does have 2 partitions (dell and the C. Also, this does not have a floppy drive. I hope this helps.

Perhaps someone could tell me; is it possible to browse to a device and view the contents like I would in Windows through Explorer? Or is there a My Computer equivilant?

Krubb
    Yes I would assume it is, I'm unsure why there's so many listed but I wouldn't worry about it.
    Just go "cd /mnt/sdb1_removable" and then "ls" and you'll probably find it's the right one.
    BT2 mounts the HDD partitions as read only but the USB device you will be able to write to so just go with that, that's how I do it but with my iPod.

As for a Explorer-like interface I'm unsure, I mean there has to be one but I've never used it myself. I just browse the directories with the konsole and then either open the files from there or from within the application itself, providing it has a GUI.

Just burned his ISO

Default Konqueror File Manager

Thanks for responding!
    Try Konqueror. I believe it is located under
    Application -> Internet -> Web Browser -> Konqueror
    or something along those lines.

"Konqueror is the file manager for the K Desktop Environment. It supports basic file management on local UNIX filesystems, from simple cut/copy and paste operations to advanced remote and local network file browsing."

SATA drives will show up as sdXx. The sdb1_removable will be your SD card. By executing a "mount" command, you'll see what is mounted. Many machines come with hidden partitions that have recovery programs and data. These partitions usually don't show up natively in Windows, so you may not realize that they exist.

Thanks for responding!

I followed you suggestion and came up with the following:

floppy/
    hdc_cdrom/
    live/
    sda1/
    sda2/
    sda3/
    sda4/

Krubb