Thread: BlackHat CD Problem

Just burned his ISO

Default BlackHat CD Problem

I was able to snag a copy of BT4 R1 at BH last week. I'm still getting spooled up on Linux so I can take the PWB training course. However, I think my disk is hosed. When I boot to it, I get the following:

SQUASHF error: Unable to read page, block 15d2aad, size 8263
    SQUASHF error: Unable to read fragment cache entry [15d2aad]
    SQUASHF error: squashfs_read_data failed to read block 0x15d2aad
    Kernal panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

The first three lines are repeated numerous times before the last line appears. At that point, all I can do is power cycle the computer.

I had previously installed BT4 on my Dell Latitude D410. I'm working through the steps to update the kernal found on the blog. I'm hung up on the part where you move the bt4-final.iso to the new ISO folder. I had installed BT4 from a CD and am unsure where to find bt4-final.iso. What's up with my CD? How do I repair/update my kernal?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: BlackHat CD Problem

I can imagine that there is a possibility your DVD (Not CD) was not burned correctly. You are the first to report having problems with it.
    I would recommend checking the HCL to ensure that your hardware (which is not present above) is compatible.
    It may be better to try and get a working install before trying to update.
    The R1 DVD you have is the "latest and greatest" so there would be no need to try and update the kernel. If you can it may behoove you to go the unetbootin / USB stick install.
    There are also several boot options to choose from so try the others an let us know what happens with them.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

as an aside, this can also be caused by bad hardware, as in memory. You could try passing 'ide=nodma' at boot and see if it helps. If it does, run a memory check on your sticks and see what you come up with.....

good luck with that...
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

My first bet would be a corrupted download/bad burn. See if the MD5 matches the one listed, and try another burn at slow speed (4x?) if it's a match.

Quote Originally Posted by Citruspers View Post
    My first bet would be a corrupted download/bad burn. See if the MD5 matches the one listed, and try another burn at slow speed (4x?) if it's a match.
    He got the disk from Blackhat, it wasn't downloaded.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    He got the disk from Blackhat, it wasn't downloaded.
    Well he basically covered ( with the exception of the download part) the same thing I mentioned so...
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Yes I did, although I only quickly skimmed over your post. I blame it on the lack of cafeine. Also, you never mentioned checking the disk against the ISO (IMGBurn can do that).

Or perhaps the most simple solution, download the DVD again.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    I would recommend checking the HCL to ensure that your hardware (which is not present above) is compatible.
    It may be better to try and get a working install before trying to update.
    The R1 DVD you have is the "latest and greatest" so there would be no need to try and update the kernel. If you can it may behoove you to go the unetbootin / USB stick install.
    There are also several boot options to choose from so try the others an let us know what happens with them.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had a working copy of BT4 running on my laptop prior to attempting the upgrade. Here's what I've got:

Dell Latitude D410 (Intel 1.73GHz)
    2GB RAM
    Intel Pro/Wireless 2200 BG
    Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
    Graphics Card: MObile INtel 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset
    External TSS Tcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C

I scoped out the HCL forum before installing and confirmed my machine would work.

My install was a dual boot with Windows XP. I had downloaded the image and burned it to disc for installation. Basic functionality was fine. I'm still learning Linux, so can't speak to some of the more advanced tasks, like wireless (I haven't touched the BackTrack tools yet).

I've tried all the BackTrack boot options, each with the same result. At this point, I boot to my original isntall, but cannot successfully run "startx" to launch the desktop. I can login and use the command prompt. I'd love to start over with my BH BT4 R1 release, but I'm still thinking maybe I got a bad burn. What should I try next?