Thread: TP-LINK TL-WN422G shows nothing under the list when i keyed in airmon-ng

Just burned his ISO

Default TP-LINK TL-WN422G shows nothing under the list when i keyed in airmon-ng

hi guys, i m very new to bt and vmware, infact i just got it installed this morning.
    as i m using a netbook, with no cd-rom, i will need to boot bt4 using vmware.
    and i bought this wifi adapter TP-LINK TL-WN422G from a shop nearby my house this afternoon.
    with some tutorials from youtube, i am able to get this adapter connected to bt4 with vmware.
    however when i keyed in airmon-ng, the listing is empty.
    do i need to buy another usb wifi adapter?
    pls help
    thanks
    james lee

Default Re: TP-LINK TL-WN422G shows nothing under the list when i keyed in airmon-ng

What is it that makes you believe that your WN422 is working in Vmware? What does "iwconfig" say? What tutorials on YouTube did you watch?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: TP-LINK TL-WN422G shows nothing under the list when i keyed in airmon-ng

Quote Originally Posted by woodlandsmrt View Post
    hi guys, i m very new to bt and vmware, infact i just got it installed this morning.
    as i m using a netbook, with no cd-rom, i will need to boot bt4 using vmware.
    and i bought this wifi adapter TP-LINK TL-WN422G from a shop nearby my house this afternoon.
    with some tutorials from youtube, i am able to get this adapter connected to bt4 with vmware.
    however when i keyed in airmon-ng, the listing is empty.
    do i need to buy another usb wifi adapter?
    pls help
    thanks
    james lee
    There's also the option to install BT4 to a USB thumb drive, which I highly recommend instead of using VMware (because the support of wifi-adapters in VMware sucks). For a guide on how to install BT4 on a USB drive, have a look at:

Backtrack 4 – USB/Persistent Changes/Nessus (credits to Kevin)

Follow the tutorial from the beginning up until the Nessus part. You don't need the CD's, DVD's or another USB drive as the tutorial states, VMware will do fine to partition it and install grub. So, plug in a USB drive when you are in the VM and start working on it.

If you get stuck, for some reason, please let me know.

-- sniffx

Just burned his ISO

Hello
    Theoricaly you don´t need to change your device, the wn422g (version 2, but if you bought it recently it has to be version2) works with ath9k_htc that is included in compat-wireless. It can be put in monitor mode but has problems with injection (or at least it was like that some monthes ago, maybe now it works good)
    When you type airmon-ng you need to had "start" and your wireless device, in your case it should be Wlan0, and after the command "airmon-ng start wlan0" you should create mon0 in monitor mode.
    I tryed the wn722n, with the same chipset, AR9271, and it was behaving nicely
    I think backtrack include compat-wireless, so i don't c why it shouldn't work. Maybe you need to download the firmware of the device and place it in lib/firmware, maybe you need to specificly load ath9k_htc.
    good luck

Just burned his ISO

Arrow Re: TP-LINK TL-WN422G shows nothing under the list when i keyed in airmon-ng

Quote Originally Posted by kcdtv View Post
    Hello
    Theoricaly you don´t need to change your device, the wn422g (version 2, but if you bought it recently it has to be version2) works with ath9k_htc that is included in compat-wireless. It can be put in monitor mode but has problems with injection (or at least it was like that some monthes ago, maybe now it works good)
    When you type airmon-ng you need to had "start" and your wireless device, in your case it should be Wlan0, and after the command "airmon-ng start wlan0" you should create mon0 in monitor mode.
    I tryed the wn722n, with the same chipset, AR9271, and it was behaving nicely
    I think backtrack include compat-wireless, so i don't c why it shouldn't work. Maybe you need to download the firmware of the device and place it in lib/firmware, maybe you need to specificly load ath9k_htc.
    good luck

Yes you right... You must copy firmware AR9271(50kb) in lib/firmware and install last compat-wireless but you must install only ath9k_htc device in backtrack4. Monitor mode is working but is problem in airmon-ng. Airmon-ng fixed channel in -1.
    I have new topic in beginners forum Airmon-ng fixed channel in -1 in mon0